Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rusty Rem-Rand

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Now to find out which park the Rem-Rand used in 1945, any ideas?
    Sam
    Up until late production in 1945 the phosphate finish was the common slightly gray/green finish, but at about the 2.4 million range the finish became a light gray.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Up until late production in 1945 the phosphate finish was the common slightly gray/green finish, but at about the 2.4 million range the finish became a light gray.
    Sounds like the color of me during my former chemo treatment!
    Sam

Blog Entries

if you already have the parkerizing solution, you can touch it up with it as well,

just heat up the solution and using a qtip or similar, dab it on the spot,

sometimes cold blue will leave the spot 'bright' vs parked,

takes a bit to card that down and redo, card down etc to get it to look right

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    if you already have the parkerizing solution, you can touch it up with it as well,

just heat up the solution and using a qtip or similar, dab it on the spot,

sometimes cold blue will leave the spot 'bright' vs parked,

takes a bit to card that down and redo, card down etc to get it to look right
    What can I do about the pits? I had thought about using JB Weld to fill some of them and then sand it down. I like your idea!
    Sam

5. Default

Anything used to fill pits won't take the phosphate finish. Would look better just finished over rather than trying to fill them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Anything used to fill pits won't take the phosphate finish. Would look better just finished over rather than trying to fill them.
    this, unless you are a really good TIG welder,,,

if they are not too bad you may be able to use a more coarse sandblast media, but be careful with that,

a friend redid a poorly treated Colt 1903 using a good draw file,

he worked it carefully, you can hardly tell it was abused in a previous life once it was reblued,

7. Default

J. B. Weld was mentioned as a filler for the pits. You can fill the pitted area by welding over, but it will have to be dressed down, and then sandblasted to match the resto of the pistol, and then will probably come out a different color under the phosphate. The ends of the slide were hardened, and were normally darker than the rest of the pistol.

Try painting on the rusty surface with a light coat od turpentine and rub with bronze wool or brass brush. might have to lightlypolish with a FINE wire wheel/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jjrothWA View Post
    Try painting on the rusty surface with a light coat od turpentine and rub with bronze wool or brass brush. might have to lightlypolish with a FINE wire wheel/
    I've had good luck on some by soaking in kerosene, then using a brass or bronze bore brush to give the area a good scrub

If the gun were mine I would take the exposed parts to a machine shop and have them lightly bead blasted (if you don't have access to a bead blaster) then re-park in the light gray finish.

If the pitting is light (which it doesn't sound that way) you could perhaps use your tumbler to clean the parts then re-park.

Being a shootable Remington Rand it will always have some value but mostly it will be a shooter from here on out regardless.