Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

Something we have now that we didn't have when I was a kid is armadillos. They can completely wreck a yard over night. They are nocturnal, so hard to catch them when they are out. I try to locate their den and set a live trap where they have to walk into it as they exit the den. If I can't find the den I make a V out of 2X6 boards leading into a live trap. Once in the trap a .22 finishes them off.

The other thing we now have are fire ants, continually and perpetually moving north.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Something we have now that we didn't have when I was a kid is armadillos. They can completely wreck a yard over night. They are nocturnal, so hard to catch them when they are out. I try to locate their den and set a live trap where they have to walk into it as they exit the den. If I can't find the den I make a V out of 2X6 boards leading into a live trap. Once in the trap a .22 finishes them off.

The other thing we now have are fire ants, continually and perpetually moving north.
    If I thought they could survive in my climate, I'd pay you to ship them to me, because I LOVE them. Where I grew up, in my much younger days, I caught 3 of them by hand, simply by creeping up slowly when they looked away (practically blind anyway) & snatching them by the tail--then HOLD ON, because they squirm frantically at first, but calm down if you turn them upside down with one hand under their back.

If they must be killed, it's a crime to throw away the meat, because it's sweet, cream-colored, similar to young goat.

I have also been stung by fire ants--not NEARLY as bad as red wasps.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    If I thought they could survive in my climate, I'd pay you to ship them to me, because I LOVE them. Where I grew up, in my much younger days, I caught 3 of them by hand, simply by creeping up slowly when they looked away (practically blind anyway) & snatching them by the tail--then HOLD ON, because they squirm frantically at first, but calm down if you turn them upside down with one hand under their back.

If they must be killed, it's a crime to throw away the meat, because it's sweet, cream-colored, similar to young goat.....
    During the Great Depression they were a common addition to the diets of folks who couldn't get enough groceries, back then they were called "Hoover Hogs."

Armadillos are well known for being carriers of Leprosies. Yup makes your body parts fall off.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Armadillos are well known for being carriers of Leprosies. Yup makes your body parts fall off.
    Very rare; more realistic to worry about being struck by lightening or a falling meteorite.

I'm not privy to what feral hogs eat in Texas or elsewhere but when I was stationed in Brunswick GA, feral pigs were plentiful (1971-72). Their diets in the pine woods were mostly pine cones and palmetto roots and neither them nor the squirrels were edible. They are what they eat and they tasted just like the pines smelled like. In agriculture areas, they apparently live off the crops and cattle feed and are much better.