Thread: trapdoor stock markings?

1. Default trapdoor stock markings?

Is there any good information around regarding the stock markings for 1888 rod bayonet trap doors in Volunteer units which fought in the Spanish American war? I have a new rifle with 22/c/217 stock markings. It is my first trap door.
    thanks scott

No, not really. I considered tracking them years ago but finally decided against it. New York was by far the most prolific marker, but other states did so as well. Some are stamped, some are carved, some are painted, some are stamped AND painted, many different fonts and locations, occur, etc. That POSSIBLY means 22nd Infantry, company C, rack #217, but could be something else, as the regimental and rack numbers are both higher than usually found. A more normal find would be something like 3/C/42.

3. Default

thanks, scott

You're welcome.

To expand a bit on my earlier comment, my plan had been to collect photos (descriptions just don't work for a detailed analysis) and TRY to match the serial number to a listing in the Springfield Research Service serial number books. My thought was that this MIGHT help solve the biggest problem - that of discovering which State had been the issuer. We have a pretty good handle on the meaning of the "code", but ZERO data on States. When I began tallying the different styles of marks against the fact that the SRS records only cover about 5% of production, I realized I was embarking on a fool's errand.

5. Default

it's a shame any of these things are lost
    scott

Couldn't agree with you more! I suppose the field is still open for a younger man than I. Another nail in the coffin was all the specimens I'd handled but not logged and knew I would never see again. FWIW, the PRIME candidates for a survey of stock markings would be the "M1888" rod-bayonet rifles. Other models were occasionally marked, but in nowhere NEAR the quantities.