1. Default SRC Request on Colt M1911

In 1976 I bought this nice Colt M1911 at a Minnesota Gun Show. The guy in front of me traded it in on a gun he wanted and I asked the price and was happy to buy for $175. It's been a good purchase. The serial number is 472166 and it has all the original Black Army parts and finish. I am thinking it was made too late in 1918 to get overseas.

2. Default

Did I say something wrong?

"In 1976 I bought this nice Colt M1911 at a Minnesota Gun Show."

Waiting on pictures. Was there a question?

Between October 11 and November 11, 1918 approximately 60,000 Colt Model 1911 pistols between serial numbers 446653 and 526683 were shipped to the A.E.F. in France. Only a Colt letter will tell you if yours went overseas.

On a historical note, the "Black Army" finish was a result of Colt providing a less than durable finish. Ordnance was pushing Colt to speed up production and produce more pistols, and the easiest way was the leave off the final polish, and it also appears that Coltdid not spend as much time on surface prep before bluing as the late production Model 1911 pistols had a less than durable finish, with the finish flaking off some pistols.
    Last edited by Johnny P; 06-04-2020 at 06:01.

4. Default

Thanks Johnny P for the good information. I was unable to figure out how to add pics when I originally posted so added the pictures to a new post entitled Black Army M1911. I just need to bite the bullet and get a Colt letter to better document the pistol.