Thread: loads for 45acp

1. Default loads for 45acp

Please bear with me if this has been asked a million times before. I load a great many shotgun and rifle shell's, but never any pistol cartridge's. A dear friend of mine, because of age, gave me a ton of his reloading gear. So here is what I have, two 1lb. unopened canister's of Unique powder, two unopened boxes of 45 Hornady 200gr. XTP bullets. I need some loads for Unique ,primer to use, for a middle of the road, velocity wise, to use for target practice. I will be using these in a Colt Competition model with a 5 inch barrel. Please be gentle with me. Also any tips for loading this round would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all in advance.

Dallas, TX metro.. formerly Phoenix metro, AZ

go here
    https://www.alliantpowder.com/produc...er/unique.aspx

In the old days, I used to load up a 230 FMJ (BALL) of Hornady brand, with 7.2 grains of unique and Std Large pistol Winchester primers.
    Today, I load 230 FMJ Precision Delta Brand bullets with 5.7 grains of Winchester 231 powder using the Std Large pistol Winchester primers for practice.
    For carry, I use Speer gold dots, 230 JHP's.
    You could probably safely load your 200 grain xtp's using 7.2 grains of Unique, but I'd check with the manufacturer.
    I am shooting these through a Kimber Polymer Target 1911 pistol and also a Colt Govt Model Series 70 Mark IV. Both have 5 inch barrels
    Last edited by Former Cav; 05-09-2020 at 01:22.