Thread: What recommendation for deer / black bear load in 8mm Mauser..

Hybrid View

1. Default

I have 2 8MM/06s. If I was not happy with the 8MM57 there is the 8MM/06. I get rid of part of the generous neck and I increase the length of the chamber from the shoulder to the case head .127".

I built a 7MM57, I used a Model 98 action from one of those German abandoned rifles. I gave it to my son and grandsons without a scope because 'in my opinion' it was a most accurate rifle with open sights. In about two years they noticed they were the only shooters at the rang and deer leases that did not have a scope so that made me feel guilty.. I mounted a one piece mount with rings and took it back. All three of them can stack bullets with it but suggested they could do better if they had one of those Iimney triggers. They have not pressed me yet because I informed they Timney triggers start out at $95.00+.

My son left home for school with my Weatherby 300 Win Mag. I do not remember how long it took him to notice how loud it was or the amount of recoil. Now he has a 270 W I built and they have a Remington 270 W; their first choice is the 7mm57. They have no problem taking their sister and my son does not complain about the ammo he furnished when she brings the 'boys' with her.

And I ask my son "What does the rifle like? The answer is always "It likes ever thing" and then he expands the answer to include 'all of the rifles like all of the ammo I load for them'.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 01-25-2020 at 09:40. Reason: add f