Default Here is an unusual M-1 practice

One of the Marines involved in the re-raising of the Flag on Iwo has managed to hang his sling on the stacking swivel.126468BE-E083-4CD6-9929-DEDBF15541CB.jpg

Good eye
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

To error is Human, to forgive is habit forming...

Marines have never been know to be the brightest stars in the sky, just for getting the job done with what they are provided.

I stand to be corrected, but I think there was a documentary on Public Broadcast TV and that photo was used to determine this solider was improperly identified as a flag raiser. The fact as I recall, someone identified him standing close by and the the improper attachment of his sling stood out.. I saved the Video and will look at it again and hope I got it right. (he was in two separate photo's)

john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 10-21-2019 at 02:31. Reason: add comment
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Just looked at video from Public Broadcast TV. The picture of the Marine with sling in wrong place was identified as Harold Schultz. He was helping raise the flag but a Navy (medic) John Bradley was given credit.. Bradley was seen at the site and there is a photo of him with all of his medical supplies strapped on him and a K-Bar in sheath in middle of back. Flag raising photo shows the person supposed to be Bradley having cartridge belt and a case with wire cutters in same.( movie and still photos) Two different people. Bradley apparently went on Warbond tours and stated he remembers being there. (well he was) Schultz was identified by helmet strap being lose and two photographs of his sling being in wrong place. In viewing you can clearly see his helmet strap flapping and the location of his rifle sling.. Look carefully at the photo that GRIFF posted you can clearly see what I'm speaking about...
    Schultz was never recognized as being one of the flag raisers, but his step daughter, who was a military history enthusiast, said she asked him about his tour in Iwo Jima and he told her he had helped raise the flag and that he was not a hero but a Marine helping other Marines. My post above is wrong he was a flag raiser (referring to post above this post)

Interesting documentary... Lot more to the story..........

john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 10-22-2019 at 03:40. Reason: add comment
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

[QUOTE=JOHN COOK;567276]Just looked at video from Public Broadcast TV. The picture of the Marine with sling in wrong place was identified as Harold Schultz. He was helping raise the flag but a Navy (medic) John Bradley was given credit.. Bradley was seen at the site and there is a photo of him with all of his medical supplies strapped on him and a K-Bar in sheath in middle of back. Flag raising photo shows the person supposed to be Bradley having cartridge belt and a case with wire cutters in same.( movie and still photos) Two different people. Bradley apparently went on Warbond tours and stated he remembers being there. (well he was) Schultz was identified by helmet strap being lose and two photographs of his sling being in wrong place. In viewing you can clearly see his helmet strap flapping and the location of his rifle sling.. Look carefully at the photo that GRIFF posted you can clearly see what I'm speaking about...
    Schultz was never recognized as being one of the flag raisers, but his step daughter, who was a military history enthusiast, said she asked him about his tour in Iwo Jima and he told her he had helped raise the flag and that he was not a hero but a Marine helping other Marines. My post above is wrong he was a flag raiser (referring to post above this post)

Great comments. Hadn't thought about this as a clue re the flag raiser controversies. Another thought about why... Maybe the screw retaining the front sling swivel fell out and Schultz lost it. May have been the only way to sling the rifle. Looks like he was holding up the butt of the rifle with his right hand. GM

Good catch there!
    And, as has been noted... a Marine, so.... be easy on him! <grin>
    Tommy'

Our residential Sentries prefer the M1 over all other weapons.