Default 1883 dated lock plate

Dick, here is one of those 1883 dated lock plates I have seen before. What are your thoughts on this one for sale on e bay? Bannerman, Springfield??
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/352866244630?ul_noapp=true

"Bannerman" or equal. The ONLY (.45-70 era) dated plate by SA is 1873.

And, of course, the .50-70 hammer on a non-bevelled plate PROVES the assembly is bogus, right from the start.

Wasn't there a guy on Facebook that posted a rifle with a lock plate like this one but of course not with a 50/70 hammer. I couldn't find it but I remember you commenting that it should not exist. Most times these Bannerman plates just have a date of 1884 while this plate has U.S Springfield 1883. Any idea why the date of 1884 was chosen?

I have no idea why 1883 or 1884 was picked by the makers of the fraudulent arms, other than to suppose that was the year they were assembled. How do you account for the I883 and I884 markings. I also know that some wholesalers offered "Model 1883" rifles for sale - that should identify the perp(s). I believe the ads are in Al's book. Anyone could purchase (or make) steel die stamps. Also note that the eagles on some (all?) bogus plates are NOT the same as the SA eagle.

I have no account for those lock plates Dick. I just find it curious as to why those dates were chosen.

I'd have to assume it was the year the bogus shops turned them out. We ARE 100% sure they aren't legit. Note that some have "I" instead of "1".