Thread: Serif P in circle proof on bottom of pistol grip on Inland stock

Default Serif P in circle proof on bottom of pistol grip on Inland stock

I have a low wood Inland stock with a circle P proof on the bottom of the pistol grip. The "P" is a serif instead of the normal non-serif P that I have seen on early Inland stocks. Is this a rebuild stamp or did Inland at any point use a serif P in a circle proof stamp on the bottom of the pistol grip?

I don't see any sign that this stock has been cut from highwood to low wood configuration.

Thanks any information.

Mike

Blog Entries

Circle P's on the bottom of the grips usually go with Benicia Arsenal rebuilds that I have observed on M1's, M1 Carbine's and 1903's with pistol grip stocks.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

By the time of low wood stocks, Inland had stopped putting a proof P on the stocks. So that means that it was done after a rebuild. Some put a P on the inside of the grip while others placed them on the butt of the grip. Some stocks were stamped on the left side as well.