Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1920s vintage 1903 finishes

Probably a question for John Beard...
    When did SA start applying the asphaltum (?) coating over the parkerized finish on 1903s? When did this practice stop? I have come across 3 very nice 1920s vintage 1903s in the last year which I have picked up. I have a 1925 vintage rifle and two 1923 vintage rifles in really nice shape, and all three have the coating over a parkerized finish. One of the 1923 rifles is essentially factory new with full covering, and the 25 vintage rifle is pretty darn close. Seems like my 1920 vintage Mark I has traces of it in the small spaces over the parkerizing. Thanks in advance.

I have a virtually new original condition DCM Sales service rifle in the 1.211 million range with a 12-20 barrel that has the coating.

There are quite a few DCM Sales rifles in the 1.20 to 1.22 million range, with a lot of NM rifles starting to show up in the 1.23 million range.

The earliest I have seen the asphaltum coating was on a Mark I rifle, but I no longer recall the serial number.

J.B.

I have friend that has a 1919 NM rifle that has the coating. The serial number is in the Mark I range of course. I have owned a 1920NM and a 1921NM that had the coating.

5. Default

What exactly is the coating?

What exactly is the coating?

Asphaltum...

john in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

7. Default

Does Asphaltum have a black almost shiny appearance, like black shoe polish?
    Last edited by Ironlip; 09-30-2019 at 07:20.

Asphaltum is black asphalt-based paint. It was used back in the last century to paint automobile brass radiators. It is not glossy. It can also oxidize with age and turn a dark grey-ish color. Asphaltum is still used as a pruning seal when pruning trees because it suppresses wood deterioration and fungal growth. You can get it at Home Depot under the Spectracide brand pruning seal, as I recall.

J.B.

9. Default

Thanks for the great info as always JB......

Read this. Slowly, it's kind of vague. Asphaltum predates the 19th Century by about 700 years.
    https://texasbeyondhistory.net/coast...asphaltum.html
    I like this definition the best though. "another name for asphalt". snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!