Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    I m surprised to learn that you were able to fire in a LEG MATCH with an 03A3 in 1962. By this time the US Rifle M1 was the Service Rifle as designated by AR 920-30. The regulation controls the firing of National Trophy matches and EIC Matches references the NRA High Power Rifles Rules which indicates that the service rifle is covered by NRA rule 3.1. Here are excerpts from My 1961 Rule Book.

https://imgur.com/oxox5Ca

https://imgur.com/wIMHC1Z

From the Match Bulletin

https://imgur.com/fSEvxL5

https://imgur.com/bb2IOxd

I have my match bulletins from a 1962 Regional during which a LEG Match was fired. I used my 1962 NM M1 and we were issued ammo at the firing line. It was M72 Match FA 61. At that tie some Italian built M1's were being imported but were disallowed as they were pt "as issued by the Ordnance Department

FWIW
    by then the 1903 was likely replaced long ago as far as substitute standard (or whatever it was called), you would think everyone used a M1 by then,

when did the M14 get the NM workover and enter the matches?

Blog Entries

National Match M14s were standardized in 1962, via Lee Emerson's book. Not clear when they were first used at Perry.

Edit: First introduction was in 1963. Wide regular issue 1964.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 09-22-2019 at 09:12.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    National Match M14s were standardized in 1962, via Lee Emerson's book. Not clear when they were first used at Perry.

Edit: First introduction was in 1963. Wide regular issue 1964.
    I need to download that book,

eta,

I would imagine Civilians were still allowed to use the 1903 or 1903A3 in the matches (and eligible for leg points)
    Last edited by lyman; 09-22-2019 at 10:00.

4. Default

EIC (Leg Match)
    The NBPRP (National Board for Promotion of Rifle Practice) did not authorize the 03A3 for use in Leg Matches.

The first post war Leg Match authorized by the NBPRP was in conjunction with the Third Area Army Championship fired at Fort Benning ,GA in November of 1946. Although they were strictly military matches, civilians were authorized to compete for “legs” by the NBPRP. Major Harding prevailed upon Harlon Carter (a well known NRA member) to compete. He signed up and drew a service grade M1 (civilian sales of the M1 had not been authorized at that time) and fired the match with a service grade M1 and issue M2 Ball ammunition. Harlon finished seventh. His conclusions were that the M1 was a reliable rifle that completed the entire match with no problems. He further noted that the rifle would require some upgrades before becoming the equal of the NM M1903. He further indicated that M2 Ball was “adequate” at 500 yards (the longest range fired at Benninfg) but that the groups would probably open up at 600 yards. He was correct- I have fired 600 yards with M2 Ball. His article:

The Civilian and the M1 was published in the May 1947 issue of the American Rifleman magazine.

The M14 and the National Matches:

1963 National Matches.

The ordnance department furnished both M14 and M1 rifles to the SAFS (Small Arms Firing school) for the 1963 matches. Experienced shooters were instructed on the M14 while less experienced shooters were instructed on the M1. The M14 was not used in general competition;

The National Rifle Individual Rifle Match and

The National Trophy Infantry Match

were both fired with the M1 and M72 Match ammo that year

1964 National Matches

The M1 and the M14 were both available for the SAFS but only the M14 was used for instruction. Participants fired the rifle they had chosen.
    Rifle selection for the matches was left to the individual services.
    This was the first year for general competition with the M14.
    The following choices were made by the various services:
    U.S. Army – M14
    USN- M1 ( Except the USN would fire the National Trophy Infantry with the M14 )
    USAF – M1
    USCG- M14
    USMC – M14 primarily, except for those having a strong preference for the M1

This information was excerpted from the May 1947, October 1963 and October 1964 issues of the American Rifleman Magazine

FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 09-23-2019 at 01:20. Reason: Added content+corrections

Blog Entries

good info Cosine, thanks for posting

6. Default

Please review my added info and corrections to my above post entitled EIC.
    There is an interesting in the December 1964 American Rifleman entitled
    The M14 as a Match Rifle by Col. Jim Crossman.
    It compares the results of the M14 vs the M1 at the 1964 Nationals. It is very interesting but too long to post here.
    FWIW
    Last edited by Cosine26; 09-23-2019 at 01:31.