Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Korean garands

1. Default Korean garands

I have not been following forums for awhile. Did the Korean garands ever get to the cmp. Thanks Frank
    The trouble is,You think you have time.

Buddha

No.

Considering the abuse they went thru the last 60 years, I wouldn't even consider buying one!

The CMP was never in the loop to get 'em, as I recall. They only get what the U.S. Army gives 'em. King Obama banned the re-importation anyway.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    The CMP was never in the loop to get 'em, as I recall. They only get what the U.S. Army gives 'em. King Obama banned the re-importation anyway.
    yep,

internet rumor was Century was going to pay what the SK government wanted for them, but could not get an import permit or whatever it takes,,,

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    yep,

internet rumor was Century was going to pay what the SK government wanted for them, but could not get an import permit or whatever it takes,,,
    That's exactly what happened--the only hold-up was the import permit, which was denied by the State Dept. under you know what rotten bitch. But Trump's State Dept. could have issued a new permit without the need of any Congressional action or approval. Why wasn't that done during the first months he was in office?

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    That's exactly what happened--the only hold-up was the import permit, which was denied by the State Dept. under you know what rotten bitch. But Trump's State Dept. could have issued a new permit without the need of any Congressional action or approval. Why wasn't that done during the first months he was in office?
    Priorities.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Priorities.
    Tweeting?

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    …..because they are not U.S. property. The Koreans bought all of their U.S.G.I. firearms unlike the Danes, or the Italians, or the Phillipinos who were loaned the rifles under the MAC military assistance program which was the cold war equivalent of Lend Lease.

In addition to their "loaner" rifles we gave the Danes, they had a lot of Italian manufactured M1s. When they sent the rifles we loaned them back to the U.S. Army they asked if they wanted the Italian rifles to, we declined because they weren't U.S. property; so they were sold on the surplus market, many of them going to Canada.

So, again, if it isn't U.S. property the CMP doesn't get it regardless of where its coming back from.

Every time a new lot of surplus rifles comes into the States there's a chorus of people saying what garbage they are. The Korean rifles will run the gamut of rifles that will be broken down for parts to "rack queens" in extremely good condition indeed. Knowing the Koreans as I do I doubt if many rifles will suffer from out and out abuse but a lot will be very well used and not sent in for overhaul when permanently removed from service....just an educated guess.

I also figure they haven't been re imported because Pres. Trump has other things to do as nf1e stated above, and, I suspect, because his conversion to Second Amendment champion was at least partly due to expedience.
    Last edited by Art; 03-01-2019 at 10:32.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    I also figure they haven't been re imported because Pres. Trump has other things to do as nf1e stated above, and, I suspect, because his conversion to Second Amendment champion was at least partly due to expedience.
    Doubtful that Trump or anyone in State Dept. has ever heard of this situation--they would have to be told about it by a company seeking to import them. Makes me wonder if Century got cold feet on the deal. Tried to inquire about the status of the proposed sale, but guess they don't wish to be "bothered"--their website lists no phone no. or other contact info. that I could find.

No matter what their present condition, they're sure as hell worth something--folks would line up to buy receivers alone at any kind of reasonable price. That's why it's so puzzling the deal seems to be dead in the water. But if Century (or some other importer) has resubmitted its request for a permit, & no action has been taken, that would be totally inexcusable!

I vaguely remember that the denied permit covered something like 80,000 M1 rifles, but a much larger no. of M1 carbines.