Default Antique Enfields found in Atlantic Ocean

A pair of articles on the finding of a crate of antique Enfield rifles in the Atlantic Ocean

https://canadianfirearmsblog.ca/fish...-bottom-ocean/

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...logy-1.4954444

Thanks for posting the link, great read.

"In 1866, the British government actually recalled P53s across the empire because what they wanted to do was actually modify the stocks themselves to be breech-loading."
    How did they determine when they were lost and were intended for Snider's cartridge conversion?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    How did they determine when they were lost and were intended for Snider's cartridge conversion?
    Nothing really pointed to how, just the conclusion. Tried looking for other articles that gave that information but no luck.

*sigh* A conclusion based upon nothing but speculation. A great story, but someone had to say too much without being able to say enough. It irks me when they do that.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    *sigh* A conclusion based upon nothing but speculation. A great story, but someone had to say too much without being able to say enough. It irks me when they do that.
    I was hoping they tied it to a specific sunken ship, or somehow exactly dated the rifles, if so I can’t find it.

Could have been lost smugglers tossing them overboard so not to be caught for all we know. Any way they got to where they were is interesting on its own. It's worth discovering the truth and the rifles are indeed worth preservation.

Things like this remind me of a documentary where they uncovered the ruins of an ancient marketplace. Scattered throughout the site were small shops having alters and blood troughs along with vessels which once contained animal blood. People could shop the market and stop in to make blood sacrifices to the gods.
    I still can't help but to think none of the young "archeologists" had ever been to a butcher shop.

Blog Entries

another article

https://www.guns.com/news/2017/01/12...5963_a14466e05

no mention of which way they were going, or of a ship wreck in the area,

Article is 2 years old. Argued about on a couple Canadian forums at the time.
    The rifles may have been tossed over the side as a means of disposal by the Canadian or Newfoundland(a Dominion by itself from 1907 to 1949. A self-governing Brit colony from 1855.) government.
    "...lost smugglers tossing them overboard..." Not at 200 miles off shore. The Grand Banks can go to 600 feet of water. No terrs in Newfoundland either.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Pat. 1853, 2nd Model..jpg

The Enfields recovered appear to have been the 3rd model of the Pat.1853 which was manufactured from 1858 - 1863. This period could well be connected with rifles purchased during the American Civil War.

The Pattern 1853s in the attached photo are the slightly earlier 2nd Model where the barrel bands were differently attached.