Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bump Stocks

1. Default Bump Stocks

Just got this..

Acting Attorney General Matthew Whitaker announces that the Department of Justice has amended the regulations of ATF, clarifying that bump stocks fall within the definition of "machine gun" under federal law.

The will be illegal 90 days after it is recorded in the federal register. No provision to register only to destroy or turn in.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/bump-stocks

2. Default

This is a horrible precident. What happened to ex post facto? I don't own a bump stock, don't want one. Those who bought them bought an ATF approved device in good faith. The government could have allowed owners to registered these with ATF or banned future sales. THIS IS SCARY. What else can they just order us to just turn in? Are ARs next?

This violates TWO Amendments -- the 2nd and 5th, because it takes private property without due process or compensation.

I doubt it will matter at the rallies. Bump stocks aren't that popular. And that's the lesson here. Legality takes a back seat when other considerations apply. It's no coincidence that bump stocks are gone after catastrophic use at a hotel venue.

"Fossil fueled vehicles are hereby banned. Individuals have 90 days to either destroy their vehicles according to regulations or surrender them to the DOT. Those found in non-compliance after 90 days....."

It's a new proclamation I'm making up in the name of cleaner air and climate control.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    "Fossil fueled vehicles are hereby banned. Individuals have 90 days to either destroy their vehicles according to regulations or surrender them to the DOT. Those found in non-compliance after 90 days....."

It's a new proclamation I'm making up in the name of cleaner air and climate control.
    JB, What will really start the peasants howling will be an absolute 100% ban on all air conditioning (except in Gov't buildings and vehicles). Between the power needed to run them and the waste heat rejected (beyond the heat removed), I think AC may pour more heat into the atmosphere than automobiles.

Make your own proposal. Eventually, by working together we can bring this world back to the clean air of the stone age

Actually my point was the precedence being set. Smells like a trap because it's so obvious it should be overturned.

8. Default

You are on track. I have always thought binary triggers and bump stocks should not have been approved by ATF as they were using terminology to skate around the intent of the law. A binary trigger will fire two rounds with one actuation of the mechanism; the trigger cannot reset without firing if there is a round in the chamber.

So ATF approved the devices thinking the approval might be reversed?
    Last edited by barretcreek; 12-22-2018 at 10:00.

"...takes private property without..." Neither The Donald or the ATF care about stuff like that. The Donald wants the 5 billion for his wall. And the ATF has done this before.
    "...an ATF approved device..." Unelected civil servants should not have the jurisdiction or authority to approve or disapprove anything.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    You are on track. I have always thought binary triggers and bump stocks should not have been approved by ATF as they were using terminology to skate around the intent of the law. A binary trigger will fire two rounds with one actuation of the mechanism; the trigger cannot reset without firing if there is a round in the chamber.

So ATF approved the devices thinking the approval might be reversed?
    No, it was approved based on a technicality. The current ban could be overruled, but it's giving the impression of the Trump Administration at least trying to do something. so...
    If it isn't overturned the precedence has been established for confiscation without compensation.
    If overturned, the bump stocks will then be added next go-round as leverage to insure other bans in the future.

All this is doing is making certain we have a fight on our hands one way or another. Sly law. Bad law.

Binary triggers are dangerous in the wrong hands. I know...I know....Skeet and trap shooters love 'em when used as intended. Doesn't make them safe among the general population when overall instinct is to release from the trigger for no-shoot.
    Last edited by JB White; 12-22-2018 at 10:43.