Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: California wild fires

Default California wild fires

Any of you guys affected by this? The death toll was 2 this morning and now 11 due to people being trapped in their cars trying to leave, others being trapped in their homes. I read also that Malibu was being evacuated.

The previous fires were deliberately set by an illegal (who admitted it). This time it started with forest management problems which doesn't explain much. I guess we'll find the pacific cause later.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Any of you guys affected by this? The death toll was 2 this morning and now 11 due to people being trapped in their cars trying to leave, others being trapped in their homes. I read also that Malibu was being evacuated.

The previous fires were deliberately set by an illegal (who admitted it). This time it started with forest management problems which doesn't explain much. I guess we'll find the pacific cause later.
    Probably Greenies who sued to keep the Forestry Service from clearing out the dry fuel on the ground. And left-wing judges who supported them.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Probably Greenies who sued to keep the Forestry Service from clearing out the dry fuel on the ground. And left-wing judges who supported them.
    Do you know the cause or not?

This happens all the time over there. I don't know how they get insurance.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Could also be a prelude to coming attractions and I am NOT being flippant.
    Sam

The dems and their tree-hugger allies stopped the efforts to reduce forest fuel buildup in California about 40 years ago. Before that, prisoners, as well as contracted crews, worked to reduce the dead material that accumulated in the brush and tree covered areas. Those work camps were closed, and funds were halted for the project. Now, when a fire starts during the windy season (Santa Anna Winds), it is impossible to control or extinguish. The guilty parties will never admit their role in this tragedy, nor will they ever be held to account. They will rebuild their homes, and wait for the next fire. Regards, Clark

7. Default

John McPhee published a series of essays from The New Yorker (from before it became a leftist propaganda rag) as The Control of Nature, dealing with the follies of messing with nature. One of the essays, written in the '80s, was about California's fixation on fire suppression.

Recommended reading.

At last count, 25 people dead!
    Trump says he will make CA clean the 'fuel' in forests.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/how-the...ias-wildfires/

I may be the only one here who actually engages in prescribed burning on a regular basis. Cheap shots at the afflicted state notwithstanding, if you have a major disease-related dieoff in a roadless area, combined with drought, high winds and low relative humidity, the combination of fuel and conditions is explosive. Fuel accumulates faster than it can be removed. From what I hear the Camp Fire may have been started by a downed PG&E transmission line in the wooded area. If this fire started on the right-of-way then blame the private sector for it.

10. Default

It has been over 20 years since I have been able to do a prescribed burn. We have such a fuel load of beetle kill that a private individual would be nuts to do one, even hiring the state forest service. All the Feds want to do is assign liability to someone else for their addiction to "sue and settle". Around here the USFS is closing roads because they don't have enough money to maintain them and then the roads are needed to access areas with fires.