Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Ammo and bullet comparison side by side.

Mouse gun on left, next .450 then 6.5 then .308.
    ARs are available with uppers for .450 While M14s are good to go with .450, 6.5 and .308.
    Other calibers are available , but these are mine and I am sticking to it.

A bit of time availed itself this afternoon so I had an opportunity to get to know the thumper just a little. I would like to compliment Josh at Bula Defense for a super job of building this fine rifle for me.
    Also I would like to thank Wayne the owner of Bula Forge for assisting Josh in fitting the handguard over this monster barrel. Well done guys, the teamwork was enjoyable to watch.

This photo show the .450 bushmaster barrel next to a USGI H&R. I think the bushmaster is more of a lolly collum than any barrel I have been used to.

- - - Updated - - -

Checked headspace with brandy new Pacific Tool and Guage gear.
    First photo if field guage.

No/Go

Then the one we look for, the "Go" guage. Bout time huh?

- - - Updated - - -

This was the fun part and a learning experience to boot.
    Used 20 rnds of Hornady 450 Bushmaster 250 gr FTX for my first date with thumper. Not disappointed , but a little surprised that the recoil was not as significant as expected. That's a good thing.
    As with every XM21 I have put together , the scope I moved to this new rifle was dead on for windage but about 8" low at a hundred after firing M118 in the last rifle it was mounted on.
    4 shots got me up into the 4" siting box without a problem where it did a reasonable 2" group.
    Target photo is of the second target. Hits started at the top and walked down 5" as the barrel carboned up and the lead slowed down. The shot 1.5" to the right was on the 7th shot and called. So it appears that the bushmaster likes a clean barrel, as least to start with. We will see how it works after breakin.
    So, a 5" drop in elevation after 20 rnds rapid fire ain't that bad for a supposed hunting rifle.

Hard to tell even with the giant pictures. Might be the angle. Does that bolt close completely on the No-Go? If so, it means whoever put the barrel on really didn't know what he was doing. Isn't unsafe, but a good smithy would have fitted the barrel so it does not close on the No-Go, not the Field.
    Kind of surprised that wee case cycles properly being close to a half inch shorter than the .308.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Bolt only closes completely on Go guage. No go is up 1/8 or more and field is way up same as I set up my .308s. The guy that put mine together knows his stuff. I put the trust but verify in there because Ronald Regan was one of my heros and I always liked that statement.
    Cycling doesn't seem to be effected by the shorter cartridge.

"...No go is up 1/8 or more..." It's the picture. That's perfect. The operative word is 'completely'.
    Not at all surprised the felt recoil is light. Isn't any with a .308 either.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Well, it took a little time to get back to the Bushmaster but managed to get out and shoot some this afternoon.
    Shot 2 Dirty bird 10 rnd targets at 100 yds. 1 target 97-3x the other 97-5x.
    All I need to do now is figure out why the first shot out of every mag is at 8 oclock in the 8 ring. Almost identical shot placement for the first rnd out of every mag. Other than that and watching out for the scope during recoil, this animal is a blast.
    Using Hornady 250 gr FTX moving at 2200 fps, this critter lets you know when you pull the trigger. Sure wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of this Thumper.