Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What Do I Have - 1928 NM M1903

I bought this off the CMP Forum a few years ago. The late Type C stock is not original to the rifle and because the receiver is drilled and tapped for a Lyman 48 rear sight I suspect it may be a 1928 "style B" rifle. I believe this rifle will show up in a SRS search but will that indicate if it was originally a "style B" rifle or not? The serial number is 1368203, the barrel date is 3-28 and the crown is star marked, the NS marked bolt has a NM headless cocking piece and is engraved with the receiver's serial number. Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

TIA,
    Jay

Last edited by Jay Johnson; 09-01-2018 at 03:01.

Sir
    I does appear on the SRS as a "NM" ,nothing more ,nothing less.
    Respectfully submitted
    Ed Byrns

Thank you, Ed.

You have a 1931 National Match rifle and it was sold by the DCM in September, 1931, apparently to a participant in the 1931 National Matches. Your rifle was never a Style B rifle.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 08-31-2018 at 05:27.

What’s with the HUGE gap around the receiver, between the wood and metal?

Or is it just a shadow?

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    You have a 1931 National Match rifle and it was sold by the DCM in September, 1931, apparently to a participant in the 1931 National Matches. Your rifle was never a Style B rifle.
    J.B.
    Thank you for clearing that up and for the information about when it was sold by the DCM, John, is the information from your personal records? I’d like to document the information myself.

At that time, 1931, it would of had a C stock, wouldn’t it?

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    What’s with the HUGE gap around the receiver, between the wood and metal?

Or is it just a shadow?
    It’s a large profile C stock, not the original in my opinion, the shadow is making a reasonable rear tang gap appear larger than it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Johnson View Post
    Thank you for clearing that up and for the information about when it was sold by the DCM, John, is the information from your personal records? I’d like to document the information myself.

At that time, 1931, it would of had a C stock, wouldn’t it?
    The source of my information is the SRS listing of DCM rifle sales. I also may have the actual National Match sales report to the DCM buried somewhere in my files. Your rifle would have been originally fitted with a Type C stock exhibiting a boxed "D.A.L." inspection stamp.

J.B.

8. Default

That looks to me like a WWII Keystone replacement stock. Look in the cutoff cutout and see if you see a "K". There appears to be a cutout for the 03A3/A4 barrel ring just forwrd of the receiver. I have had several Keystone stocks and they were all very generous in their inletting. Inletting on true A1 or NM stocks was much less generous. The army sold these stocks as replacements through the DCM ater WWII.
    JMHO
    FWIW

Quote Originally Posted by Cosine26 View Post
    That looks to me like a WWII Keystone replacement stock. Look in the cutoff cutout and see if you see a "K".
    There's a "S" in the cutout

10. Default

That "S" in the cutout slot would tend to indicate SA manufacture.