Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I see this L-L rifle has been relisted.

I do question the knurled elevation cap on this serial number. Obviously, and to his credit, the seller is surprised to see the knurled elevation cap, also.

The earliest I had seen the knurled cap on apparently original rifles is Jan. '42. This rifle is in the Nov. '41 range.
    The gas cylinder may also be suspect based on the appearance of the finish and the lack of staking of the stacking swivel screw.

In pic #44, I believe I do see an 8 in the middle of the follower which would be correct for this serial number. The 8 on the end would also be correct.

The cartouche is GHS small wheel.
    I would have liked to have known the length of the stock throat - short or long. It appears to be short to my eyes. Either long or short would be OK but I would have expected to see the long throat at this time.

RCS ,isn't that the earlier clip ejector spring which can be seen in the pics of the trigger group?

Ed, Can not tell by the photo if the clip ejector is early or not. I took apart my trigger housing from my SA 380931 Lend Lease
    rifle, it has the early clip ejector. I think the elevation cap was changed and the elevation cap screw do not appear to be original,
    also the Lend Lease rifles really had nice matching color hand guards & stocks. Do not like the G in the GHS, maybe just the angle

My Lend Lease has a nice SA GHS but a small wheel and long stock throat

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Whoever refinished that rifle ruined any collector value doing so. No red paint on the refinished stock, for example. Even though the S/N is in the Brit Lend/Lease range there's nothing about that one that proves it is such a rifle. Kind of odd they'd refinish the whole thing except for the gas plug and cylinder lock though.
    You guys are tough critics. That rifle looks like a beautiful, original finish M1 to me; metal and wood. It looks like it may have been issued and has minor wear and dings. The cartouche looks nice. I have seen LL rifles with almost no staking of the screws; flat looking. As for the elevation cap, who knows if a few of the new caps got thrown into a bin of the old ones at the the start of production.

I have a number of Lend Lease data sheets (nothing like the 200 + that Brian Case has) and can not find a knurled elevation cap until
    the late 500K serial number range, maybe Ed B. might have additional information.

Ed, some collectors use to believe there was a medium length SA GHS throat while others just thought they were modified long throat.
    I thought that I found some years ago.
    Last edited by RCS; 07-26-2018 at 09:18.

5. Default

Agree that some collectors and researchers are thinking that there are three different distinctive GHS throat lengths on average.
    In my info, I note 2 3/16", 2", and 1 10/16". These numbers are averages, not overly precise measurements.

I do have a Nov. '41 rifle that ,to my eyes, shows apparent grinding on the throat area. The throat is now at 1 12/16". The area of apparent grinding starts at about 2 3/16".
    I have seen two or three other rifles in the Nov. '41 range that may be modified.

I went back and checked my info and I do show a Dec. '41 rifle with the knurled elevation cap, 406097. It is a London proofed Lend-Lease sold on Gunbroker in Feb. 2010.
    The next rifle I have seen with the knurled cap is Jan. '42, 430971.

So far for Jan. '42 I have seen seven rifles with the knurled cap and three with the checkered cap.
    From Jan. '42 thru June '42, I show 47 rifles with the checkered elevation cap (430582 - 644791) and 46 with the knurled cap (430971 - 690243).

Unfortunately, I have seen or heard of several otherwise original rifles in the 500K range that have had the knurled elevation cap changed with a checkered cap.

Rock, I agree with your take on this rifle. I believe it would be a nice addition to a collection.
    My observation on the gas cylinder is based only on what I can discern from the pics. The stacking swivel screw appears to have a nub or nose on the end which made me question it. I, too, have seen rifles with no apparent staking.

I believe the finish of the cylinder might only be honestly evaluated by a hands-on inspection.

I acquired a L-L rifle that looked somewhat suspect due to very few pics which were not very clear on an auction site. When I received the rifle and looked it over carefully, I was satisfied the rifle was A-OK.
    May be the same with the gas cylinder on this auction rifle.