Thread: Garand ejects fired cases upward.

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    unless some has been filing on the front sight you have, it should not be the problem,

there are only 2 front sights available (from uncle sam) for the M1, the standard sight, and the NM sight,
    all the makers made them to the same spec,

I would give the entire gun a detailed strip, including the rear sight,
    then try the tilt test to be sure the op rod is not rubbing,

and of course, try some different ammo (LC or HXP if you can find it in your area)
    I do the "tilt test." every time I field strip either my M-1 or my M1-A. The ammo thing is a excellent observation. The CMP tells me it is made for the Garand with the same specs as the WWII/Korea ammunition.

Detail stripping the rear sight is another good suggestion and brings up a couple of questions. It has a lock bar rear sight. Is that what a June of 1943 Garand was born with and are the clicks the same as the later sights?

I used a laser bore sight, and yes the POI is well below the point of aim with the iron sights. I have had the gas system and both hand guards off the rifle and can't, with my untrained eye, find a problem.

I have a IHC service grade on order... maybe I can fiqure out something by switching parts around.

BTW I "carried," a M-1 Garand in 2 years of ROTC in college... Then I "carried," a M-1 during 20 weeks U.S. Navy Officer Candidate School that was operated by USMC Drill Instructors. I had my Garand tossed over 3 ranks and into a sand pile where it stuck like a javelin. I was then given 5 minutes to field strip and clean the sand out of the rifle... blindfolded.

Just so you will know, in all that time and all those miles of drilling, I never fired a Garand and never saw one with a firing pin.
    Last edited by RED; 07-07-2018 at 05:21.