Default Remington 870 70's made Wingmaster Barrel Change

I just bought a shorter barrel for my Wingmaster that I've had since 1974. The magazine tube cap tightens down against the barrel that has a ball that presses against the cap. I've been told the new barrels dont have this feature. Will just bearing down on the cap tighten it enough?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

No the cap will shoot loose. Shooting the gun once the barrel is loose will cause a number of issues. Have a gunsmith add the detent ball and use your old style cap. It’s not that expensive. The new Barrel was designed to use a different cap, with a plastic piece that locks into the new style magazine tube. I like the old system and that’s what new 870P s still come with. The advantage of the new system is its easier to take apart by hand no reason for a cork screw tool or screw driver.

Thank you.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

If it is a new made replacement barrel it should have a hole in the barrel ring so a spring and detent can be installed. If it is a take off from another production gun it probably won't have a hole. As stated, just tightening it won't work. Brownells sells a "wave lock" washer that is supposed to keep the cap tight on guns without a detent.

https://www.brownells.com/shotgun-pa...prod23974.aspx
    Last edited by Emri; 05-09-2018 at 06:37.