Default 39A Marlin scope base...

Picked up a very nice, nearly unused, 39A 'Golden' rifle the other day, with the weird cantilever base that they send with the rifle. Just a bit more flex than I like with that setup, and mounting a set of low Weaver 1" rings just doesn't sit right, meaning I notice an offset when I look at the rifle from above. Other than the Conetrol, does, or did, anyone make a steel base, that would take a set of good 1'' rings? Gunsmith in the area will make one, but shop time and material puts it just beyond what I'd like to pay....

Darreld,

The factory base is OK. It will only take 3/8" dovetail type rings. For use with it I recommend Warne rings #721 or 722 ( medium or high )
    For a more substantial base, use the Weaver #90 base that accomodates both 3/8" dovetail rings and regular "Weaver style" rings. Again I recommend Warne rings. For 1" scopes either #201 or #202 (med.& hi) work nicely on the weaver slots.
    All Weaver rings with 2 screws on one side of the top cap will exibit the slight offset you observed.
    A semi-custom job could be had with using a Leupold base for the centerfire lever actions; re-drill screw holes to match the 39A and make a relief cut where it overhangs the front of the receiver. Then you can use rotary dovetail type rings.

HTH,

Emri

Thanks for the insight, Sir!