Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Even if you use the very best roofer in your area, keep an eye on their work. Many years ago we owned a house with a gable roof and a gable front porch. Roofing crew started working on each end as you would expect them to do, but when they finished, one end had one row more than the other end and they tapered that row so it disappeared at the middle of the ridge. Looked horrible. Roofer asked me what I wanted them to do and I calmly told him to take it all off and start over. He did, and got it correct the second time.
    Last edited by Garden Valley; 03-19-2018 at 05:20.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    The CertainTeed shingles on my roof curled up looking as though we had a fire. Fortunate for me they blew off when they did.
    What negative reviews I read about them stated pretty much the same. They stated that they curled up after just a few years. My GAF shingles are 22 years old now and would pass as new.

Al Gore invented roofing shingles

My roof is ok. It had its shingle shots!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    My roof is ok. It had its shingle shots!!!!
    You found someone to make a house call?
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Al Gore invented roofing shingles
    Stop.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I had a complete roofing job on my Po9catello house in '04 - first I had to fix the rafters , which were 2x4 on 24" centers (!!!) and a bunch were cracked. Then I had 5/8" OSB nailed on followed by underlayment and GAF 50-year shingles. I sold the house in '14 and the new owner says no problems yet. The architectural grade shingles have some texture, which makes them look a lot better than 3-tabs.

I'm looking at a new roof on the Portland house and am thinking about a NW brand, Mulligan or something like that, that has a lot of copper sulfate mixed in to cut down on the moss growth.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzKrieg View Post
    Gosh , I can't go metal roofing, the HOA Nazi's forbid it.

Need some input from you all on Shingles please.

Thanks
    I used these. http://www.gaf.com/roofing/residenti...les/timberline No shingle will last as long as claimed. Where do you live ?? I am on the Gulf Coast and 10 years is about it for shingles around here. I have had the Timberland on since 2004 and they are still good to go. They were put on just before hurricane Ivan and they stayed put during the storm. The "regular" asphalt shingles on the garage were 10 years old and damaged severely. That is just my experience, as stated you pays your money and takes your choice.
    Last edited by Emri; 03-22-2018 at 06:19.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    There are just too many quality variation and choices in all brands of shingles. I did a ton of research on the subject 15 years ago and decided to go metal. No more nail on shingles for this guy.

Semper Fi
    Art
    Yeah. me too. I just put a metal roof on my bug out place.