Quote Originally Posted by fjruple View Post
From what I gather the "whale belly" stocks were only used on the early Eddystone P14s. These whale belly stocks are easily identified as having no finger grooves in the foreend part of the stock and also a clearance cut for the volley sights when elevated. (Side note: The replacement P14 stocks manufactured in the GB near WWII also did not have finger grooves and also no volley sight cuts. They were not made from American Black Walnut.) Winchester and Remingtons did not have these type of stocks when manufactured in the US. Eddystone later which to the same type of stocks as the Winchester and Remington. Since your Winchester P14 drill rifle had an early Eddystone stock, it was probably fitted later in its service life as there was no replacements to be had. Normally the Early Eddystone stock would not be a drop in fit on the Winchester P14 as the Magazine Case is quite different than the Eddystone and Remington built rifles. But was probably hand fitted. It a shame you did not keep the pictures.
Yep I,m kicking my own ass especially since this thread popped up. Anything is possible with a drill rifle and I made no notes on markings. I remember the stock was not as dark as my M1917, but it was not birch. maybe English walnut?