Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Jim,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. The carbine leaf on EBay, is that the Sight Ladder (73-23G) with the
    "C" marking? I measured the front sight, the top of the bottom base is .230, the top of the insert, the highest part of the front sight is .380, the top blade is .042 wide, I will attach a picture of the front sight and the only other markings on the stock behind the lower tang. I will make an investment in both books, I do some reloading but not for the 45-70, might as well do it right.
    Thanks again, much appreciated
    GaryIMG_0734.JPGIMG_0733.JPG

Looks like a Neat Carbine. Field replacement stock? Looks sharp! Got pictures of the left side cartouche stamp and the forarm's underside?

3. Default

Fred,
    Please excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean by "field replacement stock", there is no cartouche and here is a few more pics,
    Thanks Again for the reply
    GaryIMG_0741.JPGIMG_0740.JPGIMG_0739.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ccdnh View Post
    Jim,
    Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. The carbine leaf on EBay, is that the Sight Ladder (73-23G) with the
    "C" marking? I measured the front sight, the top of the bottom base is .230, the top of the insert, the highest part of the front sight is .380, the top blade is .042 wide, I will attach a picture of the front sight and the only other markings on the stock behind the lower tang. I will make an investment in both books, I do some reloading but not for the 45-70, might as well do it right.
    Thanks again, much appreciated
    GaryIMG_0734.JPGIMG_0733.JPG
    Gary yeah that is the one it is from Grandpas gun parts. Have bought from them before good to do business with. I would recommend that you get a spare main spring and stirrup both from them as they are new old stock and also get one of the 1879 tools for the best lowest price off the bay. Main springs do break and the pin on the stirrup breaks off mine did. Also a spare extractor the funny shaped pointed piece with the hole and top tang as they break too, mine did way back when makes it hard to remove cartridge have to use ram rod every time.
    The front site stud is good but the sight blade appears to have been changed it is to tall so might have been done to get zero with the rifle rear. If you change the ladder then just trim down the front to correct height for the carbine rear. As nice as the gun is I highly recommend to get the c marked ladder for best originality and file down front.
    If you feel you must a main spring vise is a good investment too but the 79 tool is a must to do any repair work on it.

Gary, when a stock was badly damaged in service, the company armorer would replace the broken stock with a new one. The replacement stocks had no "firing proof" (circled P) under the wrist. They also had no inspectors cartouche (within a box) stamped on the left side of the stock opposite the hammer.
    Why the carbine has a Rifle's rear sight is a mystery to me.
    Last edited by Fred; 06-16-2017 at 08:07.

Could be a former owner wanted to replace the original which was damaged and didn't know the difference between it and a rifle's sight. It happens. It sure wasn't put on by an armorer in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by alfajim View Post
    Gary yeah that is the one it is from Grandpas gun parts. Have bought from them before good to do business with. I would recommend that you get a spare main spring and stirrup both from them as they are new old stock and also get one of the 1879 tools for the best lowest price off the bay. Main springs do break and the pin on the stirrup breaks off mine did. Also a spare extractor the funny shaped pointed piece with the hole and top tang as they break too, mine did way back when makes it hard to remove cartridge have to use ram rod every time.
    The front site stud is good but the sight blade appears to have been changed it is to tall so might have been done to get zero with the rifle rear. If you change the ladder then just trim down the front to correct height for the carbine rear. As nice as the gun is I highly recommend to get the c marked ladder for best originality and file down front.
    If you feel you must a main spring vise is a good investment too but the 79 tool is a must to do any repair work on it.
    image.jpg
    Last edited by Fred; 06-16-2017 at 02:55.

8. Default

Thank you for the information with regards to the stock issue, it all makes perfect sense.
    Would you know what the meaning is of the number "74" and the two number 6 or 9's on
    the bottom of the rear stock is.
    Thank you

Gary I have a very nice 1884 breech block send me a PM if you are interested and we can discuss it.

Fred what is attachment 41224?

Do to circumstances way beyond my control I am going to have to s**l all the parts for the third trapdoor have everything except a stock and a ram rod as I was going to build an officers replica. barrel is a little rough on outside bore is perfect looks as if used very very little. Will need refinish on external. PM if interested.

Jim
    Last edited by alfajim; 06-16-2017 at 02:23.

10. Default

Jim,

I wanted to thank you for all the advise, I have ordered a replacement buffinton "C" latter, new screws, etc.
    I am all set for now, I will send you a pic when I get it installed.

Gary