Thread: WW2 replacement barrel

Default WW2 replacement barrel

This weekend a customer brought in a 300k RIA M1903 to the gun shop where my son works. He wanted information on this rifle and my son gave him what he could and then called me later on to tell me about it. From what he told me it was a WW2 rebuild. What confused me was the barrel. My son said it was an RIA 7-44 stamp. I explained that RIA quit making 03 parts in 1920 and asked if it could have been a RA 7-44 stamp. He said; no it had RIA stamped on it.

Question 1. Did RIA make spare 03 parts during WW2? (please say No)

Question 2. Did Remington make spare 03 barrels as late as 1944?

I didn't see the rifle so I only have second hand information.
    Hmmm! Maybe someone stamped an "I" between the "R" and "A"...........Naaaaaah! No one would do that.

BEAR

1. Rock Island made spare barrels but only for M1917s in WWII - such barrels were marked with a RIA but no month/date.

2. Remington made spare M1903A3 barrels through much of 1944, but no M1903 barrels.

Due to the relative availability and cheapness of RA 03A3 barrels, it was fairly common to see them modified slightly and used on M1903s by civilian (not military) owners.

I'm almost positive your son saw a Remington barrel, unless Bubba tried to modify it.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    This weekend a customer brought in a 300k RIA M1903 to the gun shop where my son works. He wanted information on this rifle and my son gave him what he could and then called me later on to tell me about it. From what he told me it was a WW2 rebuild. What confused me was the barrel. My son said it was an RIA 7-44 stamp. I explained that RIA quit making 03 parts in 1920 and asked if it could have been a RA 7-44 stamp. He said; no it had RIA stamped on it.

Question 1. Did RIA make spare 03 parts during WW2? (please say No)

Question 2. Did Remington make spare 03 barrels as late as 1944?

I didn't see the rifle so I only have second hand information.
    Hmmm! Maybe someone stamped an "I" between the "R" and "A"...........Naaaaaah! No one would do that.

BEAR
    Answers are as follows:

(1) No. (You're welcome!)

(2) Yes.

(3) Oh yes they would if they thought it would fetch an extra nickel!

J.B.

Rick/Mr. Beard
    Thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated.

Rick, I never knew about the RIA M1917 barrels during WW2 but it's always great to learn new information.

I try to number my questions so that Mr. Beard can answer in his classic manner,(if he needs to answer at all) and I wasn't disappointed. I got a good chuckle out of your responses.

Since I have you both on the line, maybe you can answer me this: Can a 03 rear sight base be fitted to an A3 barrel without modification?

BEAR

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    Rick/Mr. Beard
    Thanks for your replies, they are much appreciated.

Rick, I never knew about the RIA M1917 barrels during WW2 but it's always great to learn new information.

I try to number my questions so that Mr. Beard can answer in his classic manner,(if he needs to answer at all) and I wasn't disappointed. I got a good chuckle out of your responses.

Since I have you both on the line, maybe you can answer me this: Can a 03 rear sight base be fitted to an A3 barrel without modification?

BEAR
    Answer is as follows:

No.

J.B.

Thanks

BEAR