Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1873 firing pin

Northern Oklahoma, previously New Jersey then Southern California

My original question probably wasn't phrased correctly but I found my answer by comparing a firing pin from my "old 1873 carbine" with one I just purchased on-line.

The biggest difference I found was that the old pin offers a larger surface to be struck by the hammer. Also, the shaft of the newer pin is a very slightly smaller diameter and is not at all tapered.

Is it normal for the tips of the early steel firing pins in normal use to distort like in the last photo?
    Attached Images Attached Images

The difference in coning the end is the only one of which I'm aware during that early period, and I'm not sure there was any intended sequence to it. Since the fatter one prevailed, I'd think that the pointy one came first. I do know that I have never seen a pointed one in a late gun. As to taperin the shaft, I do not believe any was intended. And, as to the buggered tip, no, that is not common - my guess would be that someone dug at it or beat on it at a time when the pin may have been stuck.

Northern Oklahoma, previously New Jersey then Southern California

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    The difference in coning the end is the only one of which I'm aware during that early period, and I'm not sure there was any intended sequence to it. Since the fatter one prevailed, I'd think that the pointy one came first. I do know that I have never seen a pointed one in a late gun. As to taperin the shaft, I do not believe any was intended. And, as to the buggered tip, no, that is not common - my guess would be that someone dug at it or beat on it at a time when the pin may have been stuck.
    Dick, thanks for your thoughts about the earliest firing pins. The damage to the tip of my "fatter" firing pin sure seems to be evidence of careless, brute force removal. Thanks!