Default CA National Guard 1916

Arthur McCrory.jpg

Photo was taken at the State Fairgrounds when this "mechanized" group from the Fresno area was called up to participate in Pershing's Mexican expedition. Arthur McCrory of Selma, California (far left in 3rd row, standing on a truck) was 15 years old. Because of his service in Mexico, he was promoted to 1st Lieutenant in 1918, and sent to France where he survived a gas attack. Note the Model 1903s, uniforms and campaign hats in the photograph.

Being a NG unit, it's entirely possible that there could be a Krag in the mix somewhere too! Krags were still in use in training, and even as rear echelon duty with Guard units in England and France during The Great War (my 1898 is one of them).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I very much agree, but all I see are the two 03s and a third rifle butt in a scabbard in background.

That's what I saw too... just speculating out loud, LOL
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

5. Default

Looks like a photo of the extras from "The Wild Bunch". Outstanding quality for an image from that era.

The 15 year old kid was my girlfriend's great uncle. The original photo was in rough shape but the local photo store "cleaned" it up for her. Ironically Uncle Arthur and the other two in the back row didn't clean up as nicely as the ones in front. Wild Bunch extras...LOL!

Appears to be one black trooper, front row left, and one guy in civilian clothes in the second row. Could be just a local who just wanted in the picture. The first photo bomb.

Neat photo!