Default Browning High Powere sans serial number ???

I came across a Browning HighPower in a shop today. I have always liked them and looked it over.
    The clerk made me what seemed to be a good price?
    BUT, there is no serial number to be seen. And I looked purty close.
    I am getting a little goofy as I age, but we both looked hard.
    There is a groove in the back strap for a stock, and walnut grops.
    I planned on researching in the bluebook when I got home but now realize that there are very many varients and prices / values all over the spectrum.
    Still, if I had a serial number??
    Anyway, I will be back in that area in a couple days.
    Can anyone tell me if the s/n is hidden somewhere??
    Thanks

I just saw on another site to look under the grips. The serial # may be there.

leftyo Guest

id almost guarantee the ser# is not hidden.

Look again. I'd be surprised if an FFL took in a gun without a serial number. How'd he record it in his books? There was no requirement for serials before the 20s or 30s, but most companies put them on. My WWII German-occupation P640 High Power has it on the left side of frame and slide. My 1980s Belgian High Power has it vertically on the frontstrap. Sounds like yours is a Canadian Inglis or maybe a Belgian pre-war/early-war gun. Might look up where they were stamped. If it genuinely has no serial, there's a good chance it's stolen and was ground off...

Quote Originally Posted by leftyo View Post
    id almost guarantee the ser# is not hidden.
    The one they found it under the grip had a pachymar wrap arouind grip on it. With regular grips it wouldn't have been hidden.

thanks all, I am going to try and find it.
    I dont think the gun is very old as the condition is very good and the finish seems original.
    The walnut grips are also very good.
    Thanks again

S/N on an Inglis BHP is on the chamber of the barrel(should be visible in the ejection port, the slide and the frame. No such thing as an Inglis without a S/N. CF logistics types would have excrement fits.
    You sure it's actually a Browning and not some clone?
    "...the bluebook..." Will only give you averages from all over the U.S. with no regard for local supply and demand. The assorted auction sites while a bit, um, over priced and usually not local either will be better.
    Spelling and grammar count!

On my FN HP it is on the slide and on the barrel it is also in the lower forward part of the frame grip.
    I DDUW BO'R DIOLCH