1. Default Mossberg M144 Bolt interchange - or possible sources.

I have a chance to buy a Mossberg M144 reasonable - minus rear sight slider, bolt and magazine. Does anyone know what bolts from other Mossberg .22s will interchange, or where I might find an original M144 bolt? CC
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

Bolts don't really interchange. Headspace will be an issue. It will need to be checked to see if it is in the correct range. You can check Gun Parts corp. to see if they have the parts. they are sold out of bolt bodys though. If you do find a bolt, check with your local gunsmith to see if the bolt has the correct headspace. You might end up getting more than one bolt. You might also spend more to rebuild this rifle than what it cost to buy a complete rifle!

Mossberg parts are not hard to find, except the prewar models. I would not worry about headspace Probably 1 out of 50 would be out of spec., or less. I would check it tho. There are different models of this rifle, 144, 144LS (Lyman peep),144 LSA (Moss. copy of a Lyman) and the LSB with a heavy barrel (same dia. as receiver) and a 17A front sight. They are all extremely accurate, I believe they will shoot right along with a Win. 52. I have owned several over the years, have a LS now. The LSB model is probably the most common seen for sale and perhaps the most accurate. Collectors like the first one for two reasons, is scarcer, and early ones had a T-handled bolt which was used for a very short time on only 4 models of rifles.
    The LSB's sell in the 350-400 bucks IF it is in excellent to new condition. The other should be less except for the T-bolt model. However many people who buy and sell these rifle do not understand the "collectors" side of it and sell them cheap. Some of the 144's however were used for marksmanship training and are US property marked & serialed. this rises the price due to military collectors.
    Go to Rimfire Central.com, the Moss. forum and ask about parts. I have a couple sources, if you need them let me know, I will have to look them up. You would need to know the complete model number, tho the complete 144 line would work, along with several other contemporary models.
    Last edited by dave; 12-19-2016 at 09:45.
    You can never go home again.

"...Probably 1 out of 50 would be..." Any bolt still requires fitting for headspace. Isn't a critical with a .22 though.
    The issue is the age of the rifle. Parts for 144's are scarce. Magazines aren't though. Just pricey. $40.50 each from Gunparts.
    Spelling and grammar count!

All you have to do is shoot and examine cases. Except for the fire pin indentation they should look like an unfired case, no bulge, no swelling, etc. Hold rifle out to arms length or use a string, there will little recoil just laying on a bench. I always wear glasses anyway.
    You can never go home again.

6. Default

The Mossberg part no# for that bolt is R643. Any bolt from any model 140, 142 or 144 will fit.

M42 bolts work. You can shim the bolt if headspace is too big.

Have you called http://www.havlinsales.com/22rifle.htm, to see if they have the part?
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain