Default Can anyone identify this bayonet?

My girlfriend was exploring in an old blacksmithshop, and 2 barns on the property of her aunts house in NH today, and found this and gave it to me. Im going up with her in a couple weeks to explore further for other old military items that are just rusting away in boxes or on tables in there.

I know its definitly pre civil war, and am guessing french and indian or rev war vintage.. I know nothing of bayonets this old, and the only marking legible on it is a "9" on the socket, and something i cant distinguish on the flat side near base of the blade...

another pic

Appears to be a bayonet for a Brown Bess. ( Land pattern) going by the back end of the blade. Lack of a locking ring would indicate it's from the period of our little disagreement with George III.

If there any markingsm after it's cleaned up, that would help.

Hmm ok thats what I guessed. Anyone know a good way to clean up something this rusted??

Something like that...

I would think phosphoric acid and a bristle brush for starters. Once the scale is gone and the acid neutralized, then a week long soaking in vinegar followed with a hot soapy rinsing and brisk wiping.

I wouldn't normally suggest the acid method on a collectible blade, but that one is already in near relic condition. Best to stop the rust in its tracks than allow it to deteriorate all the way.

That's only my opinion. Others may say to just soak it in oil to slow the rust from progressing any further.

Default Rust removal

You might try the electrolytic rust removal technique. It involves running a small current through a water and baking soda solution with one electrode connected to the artifact and the other to a sacrificial anode. Click on the following web site for detailed instructions or just Google "electrolytic rust removal": http://www.instructables.com/id/Elec...val-aka-Magic/

Mark