Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wooden handle M4 bayonet

Gentleman I have just agreed to buy a very nice wood handled M4 bayonet at a good price. My research indicates that these bayonets may well have seen limited action in Korea. I would love to have this confirmed and if possible with a picture. Also I'd be grateful if anyone has an indication as to how many of these bayonets were made/converted.Come to think about it any information about them would be most welcome.utica wood.jpg
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

I do not think they are US converted but rather a European country. Either new made or rebuilt? Some one who knows for sure will chime in, I'm sure.
    You can never go home again.

3. Default

Take a look here (down near the bottom): http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayo_points_17.htm

Thanks M1Garandy. That sums up what little I know. I guess we may never find out the complete story. Odd as they were made/converted not so long ago.
    Is it not better to place a question mark upon a problem while seeking an answer than to put the label `God` there and consider the matter closed? Joseph Lewis

hi Dave. The picture I am getting is that these bayonets were rebuilt at a U.S.facility outside of the U.S. Possibly the Phillipines or Okanawa (spell). Damaged leather gripped M.4s were totally refurbished, striped of their leather handles, replaced with wood ones and reissued. I've read that there are photos of "Turkish" troops in Korea with these bayonets but have never seen these for myself. As a big fan of the M3/4 blade format I have convinced myself that these wooden handled M4s do have a place in the history of M4 development.

6. Default

Here are the two pictures of wood handle M4 bayonets in a combat zone. Both are supposed to be in Korea.
    Marv

Whatever it is, it still is neat!

I was in Korea, during which time I sent home a M1 and M4 bayo. The cease fire was in effect (1954) and the bayo's I had came out of a equipment dump set up by the US. Much of the stuff was damaged, broken, etc. But by routing thru it you cold find good items. No fire arms were in the mix. I do not know what became of that stuff but imagine it was left to the So. Korean Military. I never ran into any Turks, nor saw any m4's with wood handles. However I saw very few, and paid less attention, except those in my Squadron. We were issued MI carbines.
    You can never go home again.

Many thanks Misfit. That is exactly what I was looking for. You have made my day. :-)

Thanks dave. There is nothing like information that comes straight from the horses mouth, if you will forgive the expression. I am also an M1 Carbine fan. As a user how did you rate the carbine as a weapon ? (I know off topic but only just).