Default Static electricity

I've been reloading for 50 years and never had a problem with static electricity. I have used laundry dryer sheets in the past and it always worked well. I have been using some very fine ball powder, H-110, in my .357 rifle ammo. I like the powder because it was on close out at Graf for $14/lb. and it almost fills the case... double loads would be obvious.

It is sticking to my scale pan and dippers. The laundry sheets didn't work so I washed everything in Dawn dishwashing soap and let them dry in the sun. No change... any suggestions?

Might try car wax on the scale pan?? --Jim

Blog Entries

Humidifier
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

"...50 years and never had a problem..." That not answer your own question? snicker.
    Dawn dishwashing soap degreases, but does nothing for static cling. Just grounding yourself and your stuff will though(touching a metal door knob and the resulting zap is grounding yourself. Touching your press with both hands will too.). It's a computer techie wizard secret so keep it quiet, eh. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

5. Default

It's dry as a bone here in Utah and powder has clung to things for me, too. My main problem is my plastic RCBS Chargemaster so I've grounded it like Sunray suggests. That helps but I still need to tap the pan against the funnel and shake the funnel against the case. Just habit now and it works for me. However I'm using an extruded powder (AR-Comp) for my long range loads and maybe that doesn't static stick as bad as the ball powder you're using. My last house had a whole house humidifier on the furnace that was a constant source of problems but it kept the humidity up. A small portable unit in the reloading room might make sense. I may try that.

I googled dry air and increased static electricity charge. If the air is dry, you'll "feel" the static charge like when you go to touch a door knob. When two surface rub each other, you feel the static charge when you go to feel the metal door know.

But not so under more humid conditions. In this case, the static charge dissipates to the environment via the air and to the humid damp rug when your shoes rub against the carpet.

My hypothesis: work over a damp rug to dissipate the static charge over the damp air over the rug as well as over the damp rug.

7. Default

I load in the basement so I just reach over and grab the conduit on the wall on a ground fault receptacle and ground myself and the pan.

P.S. Do not wear any synthetic clothing or your wifes underwear.

Reloading Tip — Eliminate ‘Static Cling’ in Powder Measures
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...wder-measures/

When inspecting circuit cards or replacing them we had to wear a grounded Anti-Static Wrist Strap. During war games we had to wear our NBC suits and the static charge would build up in the suit and zap new circuit cards and trash them. After this we wore the grounded wrist strap and no more static.

Anti-Static Wrist Strap
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Kingwin-A...&wl13=&veh=sem
    Last edited by bigedp51; 12-08-2016 at 06:29.

The humidity has gone back up and the temp has gone down so the problem just went away on it's own.