Default The M1D in the cold war, 3AD 1981

I been looking for this photo, I was there,
    Sniper training at Wildflecken in 1981, with ace marksman SSgt. Leroy C. Hargraves of Co A, 1st Bn, 48th Inf, and his M-1D sniper rifle, with spotter behind. (Spearhead Newspaper photo by Lyn Lanier)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tankerfrank, I was with 3rd A/D in 1980-81 at Ray Barracks, Friedberg. 1/36 Inf was posted there. One day I saw a couple of infantry-types with M1D's slung over their shoulders. I wish I would have taken the time to go over and talk with them about their rifles, but at the time, I barely knew what an M1 Garand was. I saw several of the tankers with the M3A1 "Grease Gun" back then, too.

The M-1 went out of service rapidly after 1962 and was a real eye catcher. When we college ROTC kids would be training at Camp Bullis in the late 60's, GI's would walk up and ask about ours.

Cool pic

5. Default

Interesting! I was in the 23rd Engineers, 3AD, and was the Task Force Engineer to 1-36 Infantry in Friedberg in 1982-83. I went to the field with them all the time, and never saw an M-1. But then, I didn't go to firing ranges with them except when we were using the dozer helping them move stuff downrange for tank gunnery.

When I was a company commander in the Michigan Army National Guard from 1989-1991, I had two M1D's in my arms room, in lieu of M21's. We didn't know anything about them, and didn't have any ammunition for them, so nobody was trained up and we never used them. Wish I'd known then what I know now!

Anyone see any M1C's this late?

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by hkp7fan View Post
    Interesting! I was in the 23rd Engineers, 3AD, and was the Task Force Engineer to 1-36 Infantry in Friedberg in 1982-83. I went to the field with them all the time, and never saw an M-1. But then, I didn't go to firing ranges with them except when we were using the dozer helping them move stuff downrange for tank gunnery.

When I was a company commander in the Michigan Army National Guard from 1989-1991, I had two M1D's in my arms room, in lieu of M21's. We didn't know anything about them, and didn't have any ammunition for them, so nobody was trained up and we never used them. Wish I'd known then what I know now!
    Small world, I spent a couple years in the 23 Engineer Bn in Hanau, Germany. I was the B Company mess sgt...somebody had to feed the troops.