Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default My New M1 Garand

Hi,

I have been making some posts today in hopes of gaining some information on some military surplus rifles I own. I've made a coupe of posts in the M1903 forum, and now I would like to do the same for my M1. I'm familiar with the 1903's, having owned one since 1971, but the Garand is new to me. I'm not a hundred percent sure of what I'm asking here, but maybe just somewhat who can tell me exactly what I have, anything good of bad about it, and where it fits in with CMP rifles. I'm attaching photos.

I just bought this M1 from a good friend, who purchased it from the CMP in 2011, I believe. It is the "correct grade" rifle and I have all of the related CMP paperwork and manuals for it. At the same time he purchased an M5A1 bayonet from the CMP. I believe the date of manufacture is Feb. 1955, if I understand the nomenclature on the barrel correctly. The rest of the numbers stamped on the barrel underneath the operating rod are a mystery to me. My friend bought this rifle and shot it only once, back in the spring of 2012, and it's been a safe queen ever since. I was present and shot it a couple of times but I didn't get the chance to shoot many rounds through it. It was popular at our annual 2nd Amendment Party that year and there was a long line of people wanting to try it. This included a Korean War veteran who used one in the war.

I don't think the rifle has been disassembled and thoroughly cleaned since my buddy bought it. I know he scrubbed the bore after shooting it, but there appears to be substantial grease on the rifle. Anyway, I'm curious about the stamps on the barrel under the op rod, and the origins of the CMP correct grade rifles, and why they don't offer that grade any longer. I can't wait to get this to the range. Oh, before I forget, is there a way to load a full clip into the magazine and close the bolt over it so that no round chambers? I may be wrong but it appears the Garand action always chambers a round when the bolt is closed. I know the safety can then be engaged, but that seems like having a Colt 1911 "cocked & locked". Just curious about this.

Thank you very much,
    Cliff

IMGP0272.jpgIMGP0273.jpgIMGP0275.jpgIMGP0276.jpgIMGP0277.jpg

Very nice rifle! And, yes, the garand always chambers a round when the bolt is closed on an enbloc of 8 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by salish View Post
    Oh, before I forget, is there a way to load a full clip into the magazine and close the bolt over it so that no round chambers? I may be wrong but it appears the Garand action always chambers a round when the bolt is closed. I know the safety can then be engaged, but that seems like having a Colt 1911 "cocked & locked". Just curious about this.
    It is physically impossible to load a full clip + 1 in the chamber. That's why it is impossible to chamber your thumb while loading a full clip; the rifle always loads that top round. The rising round always pushes the thumb up, and out of the way of the bolt. An M1 can be carried with an empty chamber by removing 1 round from a full clip. That will allow the bolt to pass over the top round in the magazine and close on the empty chamber.

4. Default

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help. I've shot a Garand before, just never actually loaded one.

The markings on the barrel are as follows:
    T=targeted
    SA= Springfield Armory manufactured
    P=Proof fired
    F6535449=barrel drawing number
    2 55= month and date of production
    A2170=barrel steel lot code
    P=another proof mark. Barrel may have been proofed individually first and then as an assembly later.
    M-magnifluxed
    Last edited by twh; 08-29-2016 at 10:58.

6. Default

Wow, way cool, twh, thank you!

Nice, very nice...
    bombdog...
    "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends." Jesus Christ !!! JN15:13

Hi. TM's and FM's are here. Note the need for the provided UN & PW.
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
    "...never actually loaded one..." Thing to remember is that one's thumb goes on top of the clip facing forward with the rest of your hand along side the receiver in front of the op handle. Garand Thumb is operator failure.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Thing to remember is that one's thumb goes on top of the clip facing forward with the rest of your hand along side the receiver in front of the op handle. Garand Thumb is operator failure.
    Again, M1 Thumb is impossible when loading a full clip. No need to block the op rod handle with the edge of your hand. In fact putting any pressure on the op rod when inserting a clip can cause op rod release and you'll then be fighting to push the clip down as it scraps along the face of the closing bolt.