Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brass Problem

A few years ago I was having a problem with my reloading some 7x57 brass and some 30-06. Very similar to what your having happen. My press had been set up for 25 years on the same heavy bench. Turns out that after 25 years there was a very small bit of flexing in the bench even through the bolts were still tight. I got a piece of 1/4 inch steel plate and set up my press on it and bolted all to the bench and the problem disappeared.

Thanks Tuna, I'll check that out SAT> morn......Could be, I just don't know.. I'll keep trying until I find out whats going on..

john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 08-12-2016 at 05:27.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Thanks Tuna, .. I'll keep trying until I find out whats going on..

john in SC
    The case body for all three cases is the same; the shoulder angle is the same for all three cases.

I would suggest you remove the sizing plug/primer punch assemble from the dies while neck sizing your cases. There is no reason to have a failure to size the shoulder/neck juncture on any of the cases; when finished you will be required to run the sizing ball into the case neck to size it up to 25/06. Not all sizing plugs were designed to increase the inside neck diameter, in the old days the sizing plug was designed be pulled from inside the case out and not pushed from the outside in.

F. Guffey

Tuna, you win the Cigar.... I started this A.M. and reviewed everything that I had done or not done to create this problem. I have a Lyman Press (turret type)
    and it will hold 6 dies. While cleaning up my shop I noticed the press was sort of funky looking. I took it apart and repainted the red turret. Cleaned it all up and lubed the areas that needed it. (first time ever) I put it back together and started sizing the next day. Problem started.. Read your response about your press and and I noticed that bolts holding my press were not loose, but had some give. Tightened everything up and immediately felt the difference and saw some difference. I then ran a few more cases through the .270 die and still had a small donut . Turret felt like it might not be tight enough, took a 1- 1/8 inch box end and snugged it to where the turret would not rotate by hand. Ran a few more through the .270 and EUREKA everything is measuring what it supposed to be, no donut.

F Guffy: the sizing plug was out of all the dies except the 25:06 die , the problem was occurring before it got to the 25:06 die. I use a Lyman Universal punch to de-prime, I agree there should not have been a reason to have a failure to size the shoulder/neck juncture. But there was and I have to believe it was caused by a loose mounted press and my failure to tighten the nut properly on the turret. Other than that, I have no other explanation. I processed 100 cases this afternoon not a problem anywhere.
    I guess my dies are the old type, they size when they are pulled out. (Circa 1968 RCBS purchased when rifle was made)..

Thanks everyone, Tuna, you are my HERO (for today LOL)

john in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 08-13-2016 at 04:11.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Hats off to Tuna
    Last edited by p246; 08-13-2016 at 07:13.

6. Default

Tuna, you win the Cigar.... .
    I guess my dies are the old type, they size when they are pulled out. (Circa 1968 RCBS purchased when rifle was made)..

john in SC
    I have RCBS dies that go back to the letter code days, letter code dies came to an end about 6 years before 1968; I also have dies with date codes. For me that is not a problem but I do not have a set of dies that size the case when they are pulled out unless you are referring to sizing the neck when the sizing plug is pulled through the neck when the ram is lowered.

And now RCBS has gone back to letter codes on dies. When my shell holder does not make it to the bottom of the die when sizing a case the case does not get full length sized. When I want to know if the case is returned to minimum length I measure the gap between the top of the shell holder and bottom of the die with a feeler gage. When the shell holder does not make it to the bottom of the die I stop and determine why it is being held off. No matter how loose the bolt are I have no problem grabbing the back of the press with one hand and operating the handle with the other.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 08-17-2016 at 05:25.

I'm sorry I misled you Guffy, I was referring to the neck being re sized as the sizing button exits the die. I guess I am not literate enough to express myself so that everyone can understand what I am speaking about. I'll try harder next time. I am not familiar with RCBS letter codes. I don't think I need feeler gauges at the present time. I see you don't care if the bolts on your press are loose or not, you just get a handful of press and carry on. O K if that works for you, good. I don't think my press was designed to work with loose bolts.

SO MOTE IT BE.....
    john
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 08-17-2016 at 01:18.

8. Default

I'm sorry I misled you Guffy, I was referring to the neck being re sized as the sizing button exits the die. I guess I am not literate enough to express myself so that everyone can understand what I am speaking about. I'll try harder next time. I am not familiar with RCBS letter codes. I don't think I need feeler gauges at the present time. I see you don't care if the bolts on your press are loose or not, you just get a handful of press and carry on. O K if that works for you, good. I don't think my press was designed to work with loose bolts.

SO MOTE IT BE.....
    john
    Don't mention it, you are welcome. To put it another way, a reloader can use both hands on the handle; I suggest the table and press be tied down when doing so. Or they can use on hand on the handle and the other to support the press. And then when it comes to dies that are old and or new and everything in between; I only have one set of directions because my dies and presses have threads. And then there are presses, I have both; I have cam over presses and I have non cam over presses. My cam over presses are bump presses. My Rock Chucker presses are not cam over presses because they do not bump.

F. Guffey