Alfalfa Guest

Default FFL Shipping Question

I sold a 1953 manufactured M1 Garand to an individual in another state. Do I need to ship it to the buyers FFL or can I ship direct to the Buyer? THANKS

HAS to go to an FFL holder. The buyer will go to the dealer for the transfer.

Must go to 01 or 03 FFL holder.

Maybe your local FFL holder can help you with the transfer? I have shipped rifles thru USPS directly to buyer's FFL holder. USPS did not requier a FFL copy to mail it. Just insure it for value.

It can not go to an O1 (collector) unless he is the actual buyer. Only a FFL dealer, O3, can do a transfer to a third party! Have buyer check with his dealer, some will 'not' accept a gun for Xfer except from another FFL.
    You can never go home again.

I think that's a little off. The rifle can go to a Class 1 FFL (dealer). It cannot go to a C&R FFL unless he is the buyer and the shipper are C&R FFL holders. Shipping to a class 1 or 3 FFL for transfer can be done by anyone.

When shipping a long gun through the U.S. Postal Service I have never been asked if I had either a class 1 FFL or C&R FFL or even if the receiving party had a FFL of any kind. I am not saying this is what the law says, only what my experience has been. As to shipping a hand gun, the post office regulations requires that you to sign a form stating that you are a FFL "Dealer". Just to be clear, I do have a C&R and will only ship to a FFL or C&R if the weapon qualifies as such.

As far as the op's original question I believe that a non licensee can ship a rifle to a FFL dealer, but not all dealers will accept a rifle from a non licensee. I would have the buyer check with his FFL dealer to be sure he will accept shipment from a non licensee. If the dealer will not accept then the buyer needs to find a dealer that will accept or ask the buyer to pay the costs you must pay a dealer on your side.

The following should answer the OP's question. Read Q&A # 7 - https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download
    Last edited by 2111; 08-06-2016 at 06:54.