Default Hoppe's Gun Medic Lube

Has anyone ever used this product on a rifle bore? Hoppe's labels it as a "quick fix" but doesn't get specific about the condition that it's supposed to be fixing. Is corrosion removal one of them? Ingredients include methanol, ethanol and ethyl acetate so it has solvents that will have cleaning abilities.

I went through the usual post-range cleaning ritual (using Hoppe's Bore Cleaner until I got a clean patch), and then passed a patch with a few drops of Medic Lube through the bore to leave an oil film behind and was surprised to see that the patch came out a REALLY dark rusty brown color as if it was dissolving corrosion. I tried it on two other bores of old milsurp rifles with the same results. All bores eventually came clean after passing multiple patches, in the case of the No. 4 Mk1*, many multiple patches. Interesting stuff.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-08-2016 at 12:24.

It does sound interesting. If it can clean without extensive scrubbing then bore life stands a better chance on longevity. Saves on elbow grease and patches. Patches are important. Hard to find socks to cut up since the kids have all moved away.

Word of caution though when it comes to cleaning speckled bores. Twice I owned rifles which were all correct by the numbers and makers markings and were good shooters in spite of their bores being somewhat ugly. After a good cleaning session the groups opened up and one keyholed at only 50 yards. First one came back after depositing a lot of fouling in the pits, but I couldn't shoot enough to get the other back to where it was. Someone said they would try so I let them have at it.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

JB

Your views are always valued. I'll get back to you after the next range session and I have a chance to see if any accuracy differences arise. All three of my rifles have strong rifling, bright bores and no visible speckling. That's what I found to be surprising. I've been using Hoppe's bore cleaner from the beginning which hopefully has already removed any metallic fouling that remained from previous owners. I've seen Gun Medic Lube for sale everywhere in a small 2 oz. white bottle.

Merc