Default use magnum primer for standard round?

A friend was moving out of state and his moving company wouldn't allow powder or primers in their truck, so he gave all he had to me.
    He had several thousand CCI small rifle magnum primers.
    I have no rifle that shoots any small rifle magnum rounds.
    Could I load some 223 or M1 carbine rounds with these primers?
    I not sure what the difference is between standard and magnum primers.
    I've been told they burn "hotter" and are thicker than standard one to stand up to higher pressures.
    Also that they require more force to set them off.
    I usually load middle of the road, not trying to set any records, and am thinking a powder charge at the lower spec would be OK with a hotter primer??
    My usual load for the M1 is 13 gr of Winchester 296 with a 110 gr FMJ.
    For the 223 it's 26 gr of Winchester 748 with a 55 gr FMJ.

Blog Entries

I've loaded Tula small rifle magnums in 30 carbine and 223 with no problems
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

3. Default

I use magnum primers when loading any double base ball powders in my .223 and 5.56 rifles, or in any firearm.

There is nothing wrong with using magnum primers, but anytime you change any reloading component you should reduce by 10% and work up again.

Do you need them in those rounds you listed? No you don't BUT yes you can use the magnum primers. It would be best to start with the lower powder charges listed in your manual. Magnum primers can and quite often do increase the pressure of a round as much as 15,000 psi in extreme cases. So start low and work up your loads. Sometimes they also improve accuracy in a load.

Yes, they burn "hotter" but are not thicker. They burn a bit hotter for a bit longer. Cups are the same. Use of magnum primers has nothing whatever to do with the cartridge name. They're about the powder used only. They are good for shooting in extreme cold weather. Exactly what constitutes 'extreme cold' is constantly debated. Doesn't get cold, never mind extremely cold, in CA. snicker.
    Neither powder you're using requires a magnum primer, but using 'em won't bother anything either. You might have some pressure increase, but not enough to matter. That gets 'debated' too.
    Like bigedp51 says, you really should work up the load again when you change any one component.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Yes, they burn "hotter" but are not thicker. They burn a bit hotter for a bit longer. Cups are the same. Use of magnum primers has nothing whatever to do with the cartridge name. They're about the powder used only. They are good for shooting in extreme cold weather. Exactly what constitutes 'extreme cold' is constantly debated. Doesn't get cold, never mind extremely cold, in CA. snicker.
    Neither powder you're using requires a magnum primer, but using 'em won't bother anything either. You might have some pressure increase, but not enough to matter. That gets 'debated' too.
    Like bigedp51 says, you really should work up the load again when you change any one component.
    After a few ignition failures with large rifle primers in 30-06 resulting in caked up 4895, I'm going to use magnums exclusively.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Thanks for the replies. As suggested I think I'll work up some new loads starting at the lowest powder charge recommended. With the prices suppliers are charging for primers these days I really wanted to try and use them, but didn't want to blow up one of my rifles trying to save a few $.

I have heard, read, or been told that the use of magnum primers in ammo calling for standard primers will increase chamber pressures. To what degree, I don't remember.

I went to magnum pistol primers in 9mm. When working the load back up I end up using .2 grains less powder with velocities being very close. This started during the great primer storage. Since the primers cost the same I just stuck with it.

I load only magnum primers in all my cartridges. No problems after years of reloading.