Thread: M97 Questions

Default M97 Questions

This one presents a couple things I haven't seen before. It is in Canfield's as going to a prison hospital (USPHS, known as the Narcotics Farm) in 1939. I believe it is late 1918, . It was blasted hard before refinish. The finish looks like old Du-Lite. So my first question: Was Du-Lite ever used in military rebuilds? The other question concerns a set of punch marks (not photographed) These are on the left, about a quarter inch above CYL and a corresponding punch on receiver. My second question: Does anyone know the significance of these punch marks?

Thanks, Keith

Sorry about the photo quality.
    97 full rt.jpgus handstamp.jpgslide.jpgguard date.jpg
    Last edited by keith smart; 07-23-2016 at 02:06. Reason: pulled sn

Keith, conventional wisdom has it that punch marks (applied to the barrel just ahead of the chamber) are indicative of rework/service at the Winchester factory. I have never seen a Winchester shotgun finished in Du-Lite.

3. Default

My opinion is that it is a real trench but the finish is not in any way factory or arsenal.

4. Default

What you have is a real WWI trench with the provenance of being in Canfield's book by serial number. At almost 100 years of age it has obviously seen years of service with different users. Who knows how many times it has been refinished over those years and by what process. That is a very cool 97 with a great history and would make a great addition to any collection.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

Should not the side bar read Model 1897, rather than just 87 ?