Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Punch the Clown View Post
    Everything seems to not cry out rebuild. All the bands and swivels are blued as is the buttplate, the entire bolt is blue/black with the exception of the safety which is parked, trigger is two-tone "R" marked, scope base is staked only once and it is shimmed. I still have that pesky "AA" stamp though. No matter what I am pleased with this rifle and it is not getting sold in my lifetime.
    Having studied a lot of A4's I suggest as a general rule the nicer the condition the more likely the rifle has been rebuilt.

It sounds like your rifles finishes are correct for an original so some additional questions remain:

1 Are there any traces of the original inspection/acceptance stamps remaining?
    2. How about the sub inspector's marks forward of the magazine?
    3. Is there a punch mark on th underside of the barrel about an inch or so behind the muzzle?
    4. Are there 0, 1 or 2 firing proof marks on the grip or wrist of the stock?
    5. Is the stock a "c" grip or "scant" grip?

The minimal level of overhaul was a C&R (Clean and Repair). Rifles would be inspected, cleaned, minor parts replaced from new or useable supplies, then dipped in preservative and stored until needed again.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by jgaynor View Post
    Having studied a lot of A4's I suggest as a general rule the nicer the condition the more likely the rifle has been rebuilt.

It sounds like your rifles finishes are correct for an original so some additional questions remain:

1 Are there any traces of the original inspection/acceptance stamps remaining?
    2. How about the sub inspector's marks forward of the magazine?
    3. Is there a punch mark on th underside of the barrel about an inch or so behind the muzzle?
    4. Are there 0, 1 or 2 firing proof marks on the grip or wrist of the stock?
    5. Is the stock a "c" grip or "scant" grip?

The minimal level of overhaul was a C&R (Clean and Repair). Rifles would be inspected, cleaned, minor parts replaced from new or useable supplies, then dipped in preservative and stored until needed again.
    1.The RA, FJA and crossed cannons are all there and clear
    2.All the sub-inspectors marks are present and clear
    3.There is a punch mark on the bottom of the barrel
    4.There is only 1 firing proof on the wrist
    5. It is a "C" stock

Stu

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Maybe and maybe not. The CMP received new H&R's without wood from the army several years ago, put wood on them and sold them.
    Phil, this particular H&R DCM gun was received over twenty years ago direct from the Army (in the US mail!), nothing to do with CMP and their current ways of doing business, volunteer work force, etc. But perhaps DCM did exactly the same thing, "back in the day"....

As regards the 03A4, it would be interesting to know if it was a DCM/CMP purchase as well. The more hands have been on a historical artifact, the more questions can creep in. CC
    Last edited by Col. Colt; 07-10-2016 at 01:13.
    Colt, Glock and Remington factory trained LE Armorer
    LE Trained Firearms Instructor

I don't believe the DCM had any facilities or personnel to speak of outside of a relatively small office staff. Any work (like packing and shipping was done at government arsenals or depots like Letterkenny, Rock Island etc. Firearms were not routinely rebuilt or repaired. Any work of that type was to be accomplished by the ultimate purchaser.
    The only notable exception I am aware of was the instance where then Congressman John F Kennedy purchased an M1 Rifle. Somewhere along the paper trail his name was recognized. When rifle came up it was a dog so someone arranged for it to receive some considerable TLC before being delivered.

Quote Originally Posted by Punch the Clown View Post
    1.The RA, FJA and crossed cannons are all there and clear
    2.All the sub-inspectors marks are present and clear
    3.There is a punch mark on the bottom of the barrel
    4.There is only 1 firing proof on the wrist
    5. It is a "C" stock

Stu
    Stu, it would appear your rifle was only lightly used then sent to a depot or arsenal for a basic overhaul (probably the "C&R" mentioned above). When, how and under what circumstances the "rebuild" stamps were applied seemed to vary over time.

PS I should have mentioned in my first post that we have have seen numerous examples where rifles were issued, used, rebuilt snd reissued and used again. In theory when all the shooting stops the rifles would have gone for one final rebuild and on to storage. Number of factors complicate the issue. I have an A4 that was issued to a foreign government and used by them. It ultimately made its way back to the US by way of the surplus arms trade. So the traditional steps can at times be bypassed.

Regards,

Jim

6. Default

Thanks Jim