Default Can you date my SA bayonet?

I know a lot more about the rifles they were attached to than the bayonets. But, today, I saw what appears to be an M1905? with US and S/N 162807 on one side, and SA on the other side. It is in pretty rough shape, but is all complete, just a little cleaning needed. Can anyone date this bayonet and give me any idea as to value (I know value is all about condition, but just a range). Thanks

2. Default

daveboy,
    Naturally a picture would help. Here's why. If you have a 1905 bayonet, the side marked SA should have the flaming bomb under it with the date under the bomb. If it doesn't, then the identity becomes a little more difficult. Suppose those things are unreadable, and it is a 1905 bayonet, then the serial number would indicate that it was made in the first year of production which was 1906.
    Marv

To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

I have a RIA 1906 dated bayo w/o serial, did SA put dates on early bayos? In other words would first year production be different then later production?
    You can never go home again.

Thanks. I was in a hurry and I did get a cellphone photo. But, it is the side with the "US" and the S/N under that. I recall the other side just saying "SA" but I could be mistaken. I plan to go back soon and look at it again.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dave View Post
    I have a RIA 1906 dated bayo w/o serial, did SA put dates on early bayos? In other words would first year production be different then later production?
    All SA 1905s had serial numbers throughout production, from 1906 to 1922. Most RIAs dated 1906 will not have serial numbers, but a few did. After 1906, all RIA bayonets had serial numbers.
    Marv

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Misfit-45 View Post
    All SA 1905s had serial numbers throughout production, from 1906 to 1922. Most RIAs dated 1906 will not have serial numbers, but a few did. After 1906, all RIA bayonets had serial numbers.
    Marv
    Thank you for the RIA reference. I own a 1909 RIA cut down with bowie point.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The date would have been in the area which remained blue, and you may have just overlooked it. The serial number on this one is 19330.

I briefly saw it again today. It hasn't been cleaned in forty years or more, but I was able to wipe off some crud and see the date, "1906." I think I will make an offer. what is the going rate for a complete (not cut down) bayonet like this? Just a range?

2016-07-07_3214.jpg2016-07-07_3217.jpg2016-07-07_3218.jpg It came home with me. It looks rough, but should clean up nicely.
    Last edited by daveboy; 07-09-2016 at 10:52.