Default Finally shot this old klunk

DSCN0079.jpgI've had this old 1 in 12" Winchester barreled Springfield International around for years and had never shot it. It did have some history, and is documented, but I just could not stand it anymore. Anyway, I removed the old Lyman scope, inserted a rear aperture and was off to the range. I was too lazy to walk a target to the 100 yard line so boresighted and shot an empty pie plate that was too large for the front aperture. First shot was dead center in the pie plate and the group with 1962 Lake City Match was 3/4 min. That really made my 4th of July!

That would make just about anyones day. It certainly would make mine. I have a 1903 National Match, made in 1924, andI have been wanting to take to the range. Hope that it does as well. Expect to do that in the next week or so.

John

PS: Mr. Wylde, did you get my e mail sent to you via Culvers?
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 07-01-2016 at 08:56.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Nice! Any more pics?
    Spam Sniper- one click, one kill.

CSP is what you make it.

A picture of your gun is worth 1,000 words. A crappy picture is only worth 100.

A very interesting piece of olympic history . . . thanks for sharing the photo.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Yes, John, I got the message yesterday. Will respond as time allows. I've a few more photos, but the bulk of what I have can be found somewhere on this site. The Serial # is 1,257,681 and is one of those rifles documented in the Brophy book. There were others, as I also have #1,257,703 that is not documented. That particular rifle happens to be a 1 in 10" Winchester. It has been cropped to 28", as many were with time, but remains a fine shooter. For sure, the very few rounds that I've shot through these rifles isn't wearing them out. It just is a great indicator of the excellence that was available in those days. Much better bullets are what make them still cook today!

I just happened to think that I took another photo of the old IM rifle the other day. Here in the hands of the little fellow (Travis Jordan) that is the range caretaker at the X Ring Custom rifle and pistol range in Toledo, IL. This fellow does a wonderful job both in front of the camera and while hidden behind berms mowing. This photo was taken while I was sorting out whether to use the old Lyman scope or irons. The front block was such that it would have been fine for long range use, but too much downhill for 100 yards.DSCN0078.jpg
    Last edited by Bill Wylde; 07-03-2016 at 06:18.

That's about the neatest thing I have seen in a while. I'm just a little bit jealous.