Default WW2 'straight handled' bolts - (questions)

1. After the 'swept back' bolt-handle came into use on 1903 Springfields, following WW1, why were some later bolts made with 'straight' bolt-handles? (I have a new looking "R" marked bolt, that has such a handle).

2. How much clearance should there be between the rear of the 1903 bolt 'safety lug' and the receiver?

(My Springfield Armory 1903A-1 and Remington 1903A-3 rifles have .042" clearance between the rear of the 'safety-lug' and the edge of the receiver wall. This is about the thickness of a Dime.

By contrast, the safety-lug on my 'straight-handled', "R" marked, bolt makes contact with the receiver wall, when the rear of the front locking-lugs are in contact with the receiver's 'locking-lug recess'. BTW - I have not used this bolt for firing ammo).

IMG_5662.jpgIMG_5664.jpgIMG_5667.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 06-11-2016 at 09:11.

Default Don't know...

about straight handles on WW2 bolts, but the minimum specified clearance between the receiver and the safety lug is .004". Many later bolts have much greater clearance than that, but that is not a safety or functional issue. The safety lug should NEVER contact the receiver wall.

mhb - Mike
    Sancho! My armor!

Quote Originally Posted by butlersrangers View Post
    1. After the 'swept back' bolt-handle came into use on 1903 Springfields, following WW1, why were some later bolts made with 'straight' bolt-handles? (I have a new looking "R" marked bolt, that has such a handle).
    No later bolts were made with straight handles. You were misinformed. And your "R" marked straight-handle bolt was not made by Remington.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 06-12-2016 at 08:15.

Thank you Mike and John. Your responses are helpful and appreciated.

Hello
    Pm sent
    Bob