Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    it is interesting to me that the Marines would still have been rebuilding M-1s that late.
    Not just the Marines.

Collectors of rebuilt marked Garands look for "TE" (Toole Army Depot), "LE" (Letterkenny) and "RRAD" (Red River) marked Garands. Most are scribed with dates between 1964 and 1967 on the receiver leg. The mid 60's seems to have been a period of great activity when it came to overhauling Garands.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...

Quote Originally Posted by cplnorton View Post
    They were rebuilt at Albany and Barstow during the 0-6X program. The Marines had switched to the M14 and they started to get them around 1960, but the M1 was still in use in some training situations. I've had some Marines tell me they still saw them as late as 64-65 in Infantry school. Where else they were used at this time, I don't know. I'm sure some were around Reserve Units as well.

But the 0-6X program was mostly about checking/rebuilding and putting them into long term storage. That is why so many are found in new condition today. It also seems at least some were sent to the Navy as they have been found as Navy Trophy rifles from Crane.

We don't have the documents on the 0-6X program yet. It's almost too new and not a lot hasn't been released at the Archives, or if it has, we haven't found it.
    The M1 was used at ITR well beyond the adoption of the M14. The ammo magazines at Pendleton were full of .30 cal ammo so it was decided to use the M1 in ITR and use all the .30 cal ammo. I went through ITR in late 1966 and carried an IHC M1. I shot a lot of mid-1950's headstamped .30 cal AP ammo. When the rifles were issued to us they passed out a few Dummy cartridges (why I don't know because they were not in clips) and they were all FA 1930's manufacture. No training was provided on field stripping the M1 (though I already knew how) and we were instructed not to attempt disassembly and not to clean it. It was issued to us dirty and we turned them in dirty. When a rifle malfunctioned an instructor on the firing line had a quart can of PS oil and he solved the malfunction by pouring oil into the action. Hard to believe but this is the truth.

As a side note, the use of M1's at ITR was so extensive that a web adapter was fabricated at Pendleton to enable the use of M1956 canteen covers with the M1 ten-pocket cartridge belt. Those adapters are rare items today.

Interesting. The 27th Marines were sent to Vietnam in about March 1968 and came back in September 1968. The only catch was that if you were in 27th Marines and still had ample time left on your enlistment you were transferred out to another unit in Vietnam and a shortimer was transferred in to take your place. No one skated on that deal. We got quite a few Marines in 1/9 who were transferred from 27th Marines units. Obviously your friend was one of these lucky guys.

Well my friend, I'm also a member of 1/9, even though I was a few yrs behind you.
    106 Plt and S-2 Scout H&S Co. 1/9 1973-74. Camp Schwab, Okinawa. What company were you with, when?
    My SSgt buddy was from Camp Lejeune when I was with 2nd Recon Bn. He came back from Morocco and immediately volunteered for VN, and ended up in M 3/27, spent time in the DMZ fights I guess, then down to An Hoa/AZ Territory with 1/5 when 3/27 was disbanded. Another friend was 1/26 at Khe Sahn and then also 5th Marines, and extended for 1st Recon.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi, 0321 View Post
    Well my friend, I'm also a member of 1/9, even though I was a few yrs behind you.
    106 Plt and S-2 Scout H&S Co. 1/9 1973-74. Camp Schwab, Okinawa. What company were you with, when?
    My SSgt buddy was from Camp Lejeune when I was with 2nd Recon Bn. He came back from Morocco and immediately volunteered for VN, and ended up in M 3/27, spent time in the DMZ fights I guess, then down to An Hoa/AZ Territory with 1/5 when 3/27 was disbanded. Another friend was 1/26 at Khe Sahn and then also 5th Marines, and extended for 1st Recon.
    I was in Bravo and H&S 1/9, Nov '67 thru Dec 68. We were at Khe Sanh for the entire siege, out at the rock quarry. 3/27 wasn't disbanded, it was just sent back to Pendleton after all the personnel swaps. After the 26th Marines was formed at Margarita in 1966 they were sent to Vietnam. The 27th Marines was then formed at Margarita, the 28th Marines at San Mateo, and the 13th Marines at Las Pulgas. 1/27 was in Hawaii and constituted the 1st Marine Brigade, having replaced the 4th Marines (typical that a battalion replaced a regiment). 2/27 and 3/27 remained at Margarita. Oddly enough, I was in 2/27 before I went to Vietnam and when I returned I was sent back to 2/27. By 1969, the 27th and 28th Marines really were primarily a place to assign those Marines who had already served a tour in Vietnam and who were short timers. There weren't all that great a number of Marines in those units at that time who had not already been to Vietnam. Semper Fi!

My buddy from C 1/26 was on the NE end of the runway at Khe Sanh, since he was the FNG they put him on the airfield unhooking parachutes from the bundles as the fork lift hauled them away. He did one tour of 9 months, then WIA with Recon on the DMZ, and another tour in '69, never had an M-16. He said he spent both tours carrying an M-14. Just got off the phone with him a few minutes ago.
    And I missed the whole shebang.

7. Default

The O-66 Garand arrived at my FFL today to begin it's 10 day "cooling off" period. I got a chance to look it over and it looks good. There is a boxed "P" cartouche on the pistol grip of the stock. The stock and metal are in excellent shape...literally no dents, dings or scratches on the stock and the same on the metal. There are no rub marks anywhere, even in the op rod groove on the receiver. Stock looks like an Overton replacement with a very dark finish..

The barrel is an 11-65 SA, with a sharp, shiny bore that gauges about .5 on the CMP muzzle gauge.

Could be wrong about this, but almost looks like it has not been used since it was rebuilt.

More and better pics after I've "cooled off" for 10 days...
    Last edited by Calfed; 06-30-2016 at 04:37.

8. Default

I picked up the "O-66" Garand today, since the 10-day "cooling off period has elapsed.

It is in great shape. It almost looks like it was overhauled and then went into storage. The stock, bore, and parkerizing are in near perfect condition. There are a few very light rub marks on the stock and very few dents or dings.

The bore is "1-" on the CMP muzzle gauge and the lands and grooves are shiny and sharp.

Everything feels tight and I'm looking forward to shooting this one.