Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

The lack of a circle C proof behind the triggerguard indicates the stock was not on the rifle when it was proofed. In addition to the excellent information provided by Cosine26 I will mention that the 1942 Shooter's Bible lists exact replicas of the NRA Sporter stock for sale. I am surprised that no one has mentioned the lack of a serial number etched on the top of the bolt. I can't see one in the photos. On later NRA Sporters the serial number of the rifle was on the bottom of the bolt. The serial number of #1270388 should be on top of the bolt. The WL3 bolt should be correct for the rifle. Perhaps a replacement bolt was obtained also. I would certainly leave the rifle as it is an obtain the SRS sales letter. I have a 1922M1 that the SRS letter shows as having been sold as a barreled receiver.

2. Default

In 1925 the Sporting stock with or without the cut was $5.50 from the DCM.

3. Default

Many thanks for the lot of information, especially to Cosine and Herschel. I've also received a private message with information of the original purchaser of this rifle.

The shown bolt features the typical NM polishing around the rear locking lug. It's also not the first un-serialized bolt for a NRA Sporter I've seen, therefore this was not a no-go for me. So were ALL NRA Sporters with a serialized bolt only?

This cocking piece is the Lyman 103 cocking piece sight, specifically made for the 1903 Springfield rifle.

Where can I request a copy of the original sales letter?

Blog Entries

NRA Sporter bolts did not have the rifle serial number on them until 1924. I am not sure now and will not look it up if it was early or late 1924. To get the SRS Sales letter you must first be a subscriber to U S Martial Arms Collector magazine. That costs $35 .00 per year. Then the cost of the letter is an additional $65.00. Mailing address is U. S. Martial Arms Collector Magazine and Springfield Research Newsletter, P. O Box 126, Cabin John, MD 20818. Email address is editor@usmartialarmscollector.com.

5. Default

Practically speaking, those Lyman cocking piece sights worked very well. Accuracy was superb on all the guns I had them on. As for the sight picture moving/going away when you pull the trigger, it all happens so fast you don't notice it. Slow the lock time down? Sure, somewhat, but again not so's you would notice. Real world usage proves the concerns expressed about these sights to be groundless, IMO.
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 04-19-2016 at 12:53.

Not an expert, but Wayne Gagner, SRS, editor US Martial Arms could research and advise.