Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default SRS check please for a NM/USMC Sniper? I'm away from my books....

I'm looking at Springfield 1903 #1089974. I'm suspicious that it may not be legit (NM converted to USMC sniper). It didn't show in my DCM sales book, S/N too low and also didn't surface in Promo's list either: "S" stock, star gauged SA 3-22 barrel, polished bolt with penciled s/n matching, non-NM rear sight with 2,850 notch, D&T for right side lyman (no stock notch for slide), SADAL rebuild cartouche, handguard notched (about 1" remaining of hump) for blackened Unertl base (has what might be "O" and "E" bases), no glass. Photos are hyper-snaps and all I have.
    Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PRC148; 04-14-2016 at 10:52.
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered shall never know."

Photos?

Quote Originally Posted by louis View Post
    Photos?
    Added - just took a bit to pull and add them. Thanks
    "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor that the sheltered shall never know."

I only have book2 it's not listed but at the end of a long line of USMC rifles there is 1089163 the nearest one. But there is no Hatcher hole so I would say it's not a Marine Corps rifle
    Last edited by louis; 04-14-2016 at 11:13.

Sorry to say this one isn't a real Marine Unertl sniper. It just doesn't have the traits you consistently see on them.
    Last edited by cplnorton; 04-14-2016 at 05:48.

not a NM and not a Sniper..
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

Thanks gents. I didn't think so either.

8. Default

It is NOT a Unertl sniper rifle - but still very interesting with these bases. You'd also have to be put aware of the plugged holes on the side of the receiver, which would indicate the receiver to be a NM receiver (or at least somewhen have featured a Lyman 48C rear sight). However, the stock is not inletted for the Lyman. This either means it was replaced, or it had only been D&T and not inletted (rather uncommon). If it had been an officially adopted sniper, I'd not believe they'd used a receiver D&T for the Lyman sight.

Were the rear blocks on the originals butted up against the rear sight collar? I see this one has a gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy A View Post
    Were the rear blocks on the originals butted up against the rear sight collar? I see this one has a gap.

Yes, all the ones I have seen have had the exact same spacing drilled in the receiver.