Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks John. I've ordered a couple of boxes.

The rifle arrived yesterday and I think it's absolutely gorgeous! Al Frasca is indeed a real pleasure to work with! I can't wait to get it out and shoot it, but I think the little lady is claiming the "right of first shot".
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

2. Default

Congratulations on your "new" trapdoor. Not surprised to hear that Al Frasca did you right and that you love the rifle. As for feeding your trapdoor, check out the "Shooters Page" link on Frasca's website, where there are a number of black powder and smokeless loads listed. Personally, I prefer shooting smokeless because it affords me the possibility to clean the rifle the next day, and it has a more mild kick: 23gr Alliant 2400 pushing a 405gr bullet.

After shooting black powder cartridges, my trick for cleaning the bore is to use a length of washing machine hose with one of the female ends cut off and tapered to plug into the rifle breech. The other end connects to the faucet on my slop sink, then I flush the bore with running water, right into the sink. Pretty much the same as described in the earlier post after the bore flush.

3. Default

Years ago I read an article in Camp Chase Gazette, the magazine for Civil War reenactors where the author recommended windshield washer fluid-"the cheaper, the better" as a good after action cleaner. I tried it once, worked fine. Reenactors also use a home brewed solution of one third rubbing alcohol, one third peroxide, one third Murphy's Oil Soap for in the field use.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 04-05-2016 at 04:12.

Thanks! My ammo arrived today and it looks promising . I don't have a slop sink . . . can effective cleaning be done just using wet patches? If not, maybe some sort of hose and funnel arrangement and a bucket. It sounds like there may be a bit of experimentation in my future.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

Cleaning a Black Powder cartridge rifle with a good, smooth bore is easy. Turn the rifle over in the cradle and use a rubber band to hold the trapdoor open so crud doesn't fall into the action. Push a wet patch through the bore. Repeat till fouling is gone. Follow with dry patches. If there is some pitting use a water displacing oil like WD40 to make sure the pits are dry of water. Patch and then oil with a decent gun oil. Check the bore the next day. wipe the outside where there is fouling with a damp cloth and follow with oil. That's all there is too it.

It takes surprisingly few wet patches to get the job done with a decent bore. Be sure and use a muzzle guide so the rod doesn't wear the crown.

If you have lead fouling clean then soak the bore with a penetrating oil like Kroil or ATF and acetone then follow with a very tight patch that may need a bit of persuasion with a light hammer to punch the tube. The lead will come out in strips on the patch.

It is actually easier to clean one of these rifles than a muzzle loader.

Encouraging words, 13Echo. Thanks. I've got a 36" coated Dewey rod, a .44/.45 jag, and a brass muzzle guide so I should be able to do that. Out of curiosity, have you found a particular type of cleaning rest that works well for these looong rifles?

for cleaning I suggest a metal funnel. Flatten one side. Stick it in the breech end, and pour a kettle full of hot water down the bore, then clean the usual way

I would add use a wet brush if you get hard fouling which can happen in dry weather.

To keep the fouling soft between shots use a blow tube. For my 1884 I have a clear plastic tube from the hardware store that happens to be the right diameter to enter the chamber and stop at the end of the chamber. Put it in the chamber and exhale through the tube. The moisture in your breath will help keep the fouling soft. On high humidity days this may not be necessary. On dry , low humidity days it may take several breaths.

I use my usual cleaning cradle for my other rifles at home. I made a collapsible one that attaches to my shooting kit for the range. The only difference for the Springfield is I turn the rifle upside down and hold the block open with a rubber band. This way any fouling pushed down the barrel falls out of the action instead of into it.

It isn't Rocket Surgery and it isn't Voodoo, just different.

Jerry Liles
    Last edited by 13Echo; 04-14-2016 at 04:28.

Thanks all. I really appreciate "the voice of experience"! John, when you say "hot" water, are we talking "tap water" hot or "just off the boil" hot? Combining your recommendation and Jerry's comments, it occurs to me that I might be able to make up a funnel attached to a length of 1/2-inch silicone tubing for feeding water into the chamber. The normal thin-wall silicone tubing that I can buy locally can handle temperatures up to 130 F, but if necessary high temperature tubing is available on-line. I still plan to start out with wet patches, but if necessary I want to be prepared to go the whole route.

Jerry, thanks for the tip on the blow tube. I'll make one up and take it along. Measuring a .45-70 case, it looks like 1/2-inch OD tube might just barely squeeze into the chamber. The next size down is 7/16-inch OD which would be small enough to enter the bore. I'm led to believe that, at the range, I'll need to run a couple patches down the bore every 5 shots or so to clear fouling. I have some Hoppe's black powder bore cleaner for that. I also have a brass muzzle guide and both bronze and nylon bristle .45 brushes. Just realized this morning though that I don't have any 2-1/2 inch cleaning patches so I'll need to pick those up.

I gave some thought to the peroxide/alcohol/Murphy's mixture that blackhawknj mentioned. I suspect it would clean really well, but hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer and I wouldn't be comfortable getting it anywhere near my rifle. I have seen some positive comments about a Birchwood Casey product called Muzzle Magic No. 77 if the Hoppe's doesn't work out for the range.
    Last edited by IditarodJoe; 04-14-2016 at 07:20.

10. Default

As with reloading there is no "One Size Fits All" formula for BP cleaning. In the 3-in-1 solution the peroxide provides quick cleaning, the alcohol allows for quick drying, the Murphy's Oil Soap takes the edge off the peroxide and provides some lubrication. I like to use chemistry rather than elbow grease when cleaning BP, like doing dishes I let the chemicals soak the residue.