Default M1916 holster care

A little while back I was looking at a website where people go to sell their junk (a cheap version of ebay). A guy had a holster for sale, but the pictures were bad. He said it will still in the original package (package was open) and was marked Boyt. I assumed it was one of the M1916 reproductions and it only cost $35 so I told him I wanted it. When it came in the mail I found that it was an original 1944 Boyt M1916 holster, and yes, the original package was with it. The dang thing is like new, except the leather light and dark regions. I suspect it has been exposed to some dampness over the years. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what I may be able to use to treat the leather to even out the color? (sorry the pictures are so bad, but they are all I have right now)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hecklerusp45; 03-22-2016 at 06:59.
    "In God We Trust"

Treat it with Pecards. I think that's the name of the product.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

There are several good leather treatments, but for your application I agree on the Pecards. Initially give it a heavy coat of Pecards and let it set for an hour or so, then with toweling wipe as much off as you can. This will help clean the leather as well as keep it soft. Do not put any on the rough side of the leather, and apply in very thin coats. An application about every 6 months will maintain your holster

4. Default

Very nice find!

thanks for the suggestion, I will give it a try.
    "In God We Trust"

Don't use Neets foot, or any conditioner like we used on ball gloves and such.
    It will hasten deterioration.
    I think Pecards is going to color it some.
    There is another good product called "Hide Food."

If the Pecards is used in very thin coats it may initially darken the leather, but it should return to it's original color.

Picard's seems to be good stuff. I've use both the regular Picard Leather Dressing and the Picard Antique Leather Dressing for a number of years. I use the former on newer items and the latter on older things that might be a bit more frail. Neither has caused any permanent discoloration that I can see (or any other problem for that matter). I once bought an old 1907 leather sling that a previous owner had treated with lanolin. Totally ruined the sling from a usability standpoint -VERY prone to stretching.
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

That is the natural color of the leather (un-died), I would not worry about the differences in color, that is just the way it turned after years in 'storage'. As suggested, just treat with Picards. I would recommend the 'antique' altho there is probably no difference between them. (google the company and buy direct).
    Last edited by dave; 04-05-2016 at 09:18.
    You can never go home again.