Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1903 Springfield in phosphate finish with 11-42 barrel

A friend of mine has this rifle... he thinks it's a carbine. So I told him I "thought" it was a WW2 "rifle" reworked with a new barrel and refinished in phosphate. So if I'm right, this would have happened on the eve of Pearl Harbor right? Questions are, how collectible are these particular variants?, and can any of you better informed collectors (than me that is...) see any glaring faults w/ this rifle? I've not had it in hand yet but I'll assume the bore is serviceable. Lastly, are we allowed to ask questions concerning value on this forum? If not that's understandable... for the most part before I make an offer I'd like to know this is a armory re-work, not something else.

Thanks for any comments or advice!

regards, m

IMG_0574.jpg

IMG_0575.jpgIMG_0576.jpgIMG_0577.jpgIMG_0578.jpg

The receiver dates to late 1915 - the barrel is a replacement which dates from nearly a year AFTER Pearl Harbor. Keep in mind the barrel was made in 1942 and could have been part of an overhaul done weeks, months or even years later. The stock, handguard and rear sight are replacements and the rifle was refinished.

The rifle is not a carbine, but M1903 assembled and put together with mixed parts. It is rather handsome, but it is worth a fraction of what its value would be in original condition. Possibly $500, assuming the bore is in good condition.

I see your first post - welcome!
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-27-2016 at 08:54.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

3. Default

Thanks Rick... of course!, I was thinking "almost Christmas" 41 for some reason.

So $500ish retail? And of course, it shouldn't be fired since the serial # is in that "eyeball" heat treat era. I note however on this chart, there were no failures noted for receivers mfg. in 15. Shootable then? or risky?

regards, m

I don't shoot them as a rule, but several people do. Sort of up to your own taste. Generally, if you watch the quality of ammunition you use and keep an eye on the headspace, you should be OK.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

The CMP sold a large batch of those about 8 years ago. All refurbished low numbers with '42 barrels. Not Greek returns, but old stock in storage for many years. I bought several. They are great shooters. My invoice shows a price of $350 plus shipping. They each came with a certificate.

anvilring- does this rifle have the extra gas escape hole, colloquially known as a Hatcher Hole on the port side of the receiver? Included is a pic of one for reference, it is the hole you see right where the stock rises on the receiver ring.

Screen Shot 2016-03-28 at 4.12.40 PM.jpg

Did the CMP grind the tip of the firing pin off on those low number rifles?

I bought one low number 03 from the CMP that was a VFW return and the tip of the firing pin was broken off.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Did the CMP grind the tip of the firing pin off on those low number rifles?
    They did, at least early on. I believe they ceased doing this towards the end of "Greek sales" and didn't resume it later.
    --C.S. Lewis

Mine were all fully shootable from the CMP.