Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There Are Gems to be Found, Lots of Words and Pic Heavy.

Default There Are Gems to be Found, Lots of Words and Pic Heavy.

This past weekend Hawaii had its semi annual Gun show, prior to the show one of my initial mentors of 1903 collecting let me know about some guns that came out of the back of a shop that they desperately just wanted to get rid of. 2 1903 Receivers, a Complete 1903 and a 1917. He mentioned all were in rusty cruddy condition with lousy bores, the guy that told him about it goes to church with some of the guys that work at the shop and none of them knew anything about the pieces. So old boy goes over, looks it over, tells them not to expect much and all the reasons why and goes on his way, lets me know about the pieces and that he put in the good word for me and to bring them to the show. So I meet up with my contact and hes absolutely un reasonable, for a rusty 1903 he wants 600, bore looks like the moon, for a rusty 1917 he wants 600, metal looks like the moon and the bore, the 1903 receivers had tomato stake barrels and one had holes drilled in it, they wanted 150 a piece. I offered 1000 for all of it. The contact said 1100 and after which kept shaking his head and wouldnt hear a thing, he said it all was in excellent condition and would clean up and I could make money off of it. So after going back and forth a bit I said forget it and asked how much for the 1903 and the 2 receivers, he said 800, I said 750, so I accepted, I was a bit turned off by his attitude so I was going to back down, but that little voice said stick with the deal, so I did. When the old man had looked at the 03 previously, he said it had some match traits, but he wasnt convinced, no star gauged barrel, reverse safety, etc, upon looking at it I said the same thing, looks like a home made match rifle. Come time to bring it home, sit down, look at it, go over it, this gem emerged. I have a little more cleaning up to do, but got the majority of it.

Upon taking it home and getting good light, I found the last digit of the number on the bolt, and I said it cant be, so I took out my flashlight and the rest followed, I said ill be damned, then I turned it over and saw the matching number on the stock. The bolt is polished, rails are polished, follower and spring. No star gauged barrel, but the barrel does post date the receiver, All the crap that looked like the moon surface turned out to be wax and grease, the bore is spotless, and to top it all off, the Icing on the cake came with looking up the serial number in the SRS Database.

1348644STC 082333 DCM RIFLE SALES 1922-42
    1348644 022442 MIL DIST HAWAII (CONFISCATED)
    1348644 033143 HAWAII MIL DEPT (RELEASED)
    Last edited by CptEnglehorn; 03-21-2016 at 05:41.

4. Default

Nice Work what a find

You hit the jackpot! I wonder if they "released" it back to original buyer?
    Last edited by dave; 03-21-2016 at 06:06.
    You can never go home again.

I'd sat you did good.

Wonderful - nice rifle and good "story" (SRS hits, not one but THREE!) - it doesn't get any better than that!

Good things come from the Aloha State ... I got NM #1370112 from there a few years back.

I think it would DEFINITELY be worth getting the info from the SRS - maybe they'd give you a "group rate"!!

Here's mine ...

IMG_0276 (1024x347).jpg
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 03-21-2016 at 06:53.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Special Target, C stock..nice find
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

thanks for the kind words, im quite suprised with it, im definitely gonna chase the letter. Mr.Slater that rifle is beautiful, did you manage to get any paperwork on it.

No, I just know it is mentioned on SRS. As I got it from Hawaii, your story has piqued my interest - might be worth getting the letter.

I would approach SRS and see what kind of deal they would cut for THREE listings. You will have to subscribe to the magazine.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis